Part 25

With a cup of tea in her hands, Stevie stared blankly at the wall in front of her. She didn't feel like getting up yet, but the baby was particularly active this morning. No position was comfortable enough, so Stevie decided to go down into the kitchen. While making herself tea, she also looked through the fridge, but nothing interested her.

A hand on her shoulder brought her back to the present moment. Stevie smiled, when Rick bent down to kiss her messy hair. 

"Did I wake you?" 

"No. I'm an early riser." Rick replied and pulled out a chair on her left. "I thought, you might have started regretting asking me to stay the night."

"Don't be silly." Stevie shook her head and lay her hand over his. "This little devil didn't let me sleep." She looked down at her belly, which she didn't believe could get any bigger.

Last night was the first night that Rick spent at Stevie's. They didn't plan it, he was supposed to come over for dinner, which he ended up cooking himself with Stevie's instructions, because her feet hurt. Later, they watched a movie and then got to talking. When he finally checked the time, it was well past midnight and she suggested, he should stay.

"Have you eaten already?"

"I didn't find anything that looked appetizing." Stevie sighed and finished her tea. 

"I could go shopping?" Rick offered, but she shook her head. "It's not trouble at all-"

"No, Rick. Come on, you don't have to." Not without some struggle, Stevie rose to her feet to put her empty cup into the sink. "Do you like pancakes?"

"I haven't eaten pancakes in forever." Rick laughed lightly. "Possibly, since I was a kid."

"I make delicious pancakes."

"Oh yeah?" Rick stood up as well, seeing as she was trying to reach for the flour. "Here."

"Thank you." Without thinking about it, Stevie pecked him on the lips. Everything just seemed to come so naturally. "You, sit down. I promised you dinner last night, which you made. I'll manage breakfast."

"If you're sure." Rick shrugged. "But I'm ready to step in at any time." He smiled and she found herself staring at him. "What?"

"Nothing. Uh... nothing at all." A sincere smile crossed her lips and her heartbeat quickened. "Is chocolate chip okay?"

"Oh God, yes!" Rick exclaimed, making her chuckle. 

Sitting down again, Rick leaned back and clasped his hands. They didn't talk, but the silence wasn't uncomfortable at all. He loved witnessing a completely different side of Stevie, a domestic side of her, he'd never thought he would get to see. While he adored her as the Stevie Nicks everyone knew and loved, he thought, this suited her as well. If not better. There were things he wanted to say, but he didn't feel ready. Not because she might feel differently, but because he was afraid. He was afraid all of this could be taken away from him.

"I can feel your eyes on me." Stevie spoke up as she stood at the stove. 

"Oh, uh, sorry. I didn't mean to stare, I just..." Rick trailed off, sitting up straight. "This feels nice, doesn't it?"

"What exactly?" She asked, glancing at him over her shoulder. 

Hesitating for a moment, Rick forced himself to be honest. "Us."

Stevie turned around, she could see it hadn't been easy for him to say that word, to call them something. "It really does." She finally agreed and walked over to him. "I didn't expect to meet someone, you know. You came into my life exactly when I needed you even if I didn't know it then."

He held up his hand and caressed the side of her face. "I don't want to leave."

"I don't want you to leave." Stevie admitted, tilting her head up, when Rick stood up. "I hope you don't leave."

Pressing their lips together, Rick lingered for a few seconds. It wasn't that he wanted to pull back, but he had to. "I think, something's burning."