Losing My Mind

NEWT POV

"Tommy, Tommy, wake up!" I cry. 

I feel a hand on my shoulder. It's Sonya. 

"Come on, Newt." She says. "Let the others take care of him."

"No!" I say, tears falling down my cheeks. "No, I can help him!"

"No, you can't." She says. "Come on." 

I reluctantly let her pull me away from Thomas. I don't take my eyes off of him. Jorge's dealing with his shoulder but I'm still so worried. 

Sonya puts her hand on my arm. "Newt, it's okay. He'll be fine."

"He was shot!" I cry.

"So were you. You're alive." She points out.

I bite my lip. "But-"

"No." Sonya shakes her head. "Don't. Come on. Maybe we should leave."

"No." I say, not taking my eyes off of him. "Not until he wakes up." 

Sonya sighs. "Fine."

That afternoon, Thomas wakes up. 

"Oh my god, Tommy!" I say, running over to him. 

He groans. "What happened?"

"Elizabeth shot you." I say. "Well...kind of. You were shot."

He tries to push himself up but winces when he uses his arm.

"Don't do that." I say. 

"But we have to keep going." He says. "I'm not going to be the reason we're stuck here longer."

"You're not." I say. "That shuck-face Elizabeth is. I don't know what makes her eyes turn red or makes her shoot people or stab them but..." I shake my head. "She's the reason." I think. "In fact, we're not safe with her. And she keeps almost killing you."

"No." He says. "Last time the knife went into your chest."

"Yes but she threw it at you. I just lept in the way." I say.

He smiles. "I can do  it. I can walk. I won't slow us down."

I look at him, worried.

"I'll be fine, Newt." he says.

"Fine." I say. 

He stands shakily and I wrap my arm around his waist. He puts his over my shoulders. We walk out to the others.

"Thomas you don't have to do this." Aris says. 

"Oh believe me, I've made sure he knows that." I say, looking at him accusingly. He smirks. 

"Well, come on then." Jorge says. "We better keep moving."

The girl, Magnolia, walks behind everyone else. I smile at her and she gives a small smile back. 

After about ten miles, Thomas looks awful. 

"We have to stop." I say to him and to everyone else.

"I'm fine." He says. 

"Tommy, you are insanely pale, your shoulder is bleeding, you can barely stand. Do I need to go on?" I ask.

He shakes his head as I help him sit. He grimaces as he puts his hand on the ground. I move his sleeve to look at his wound. It's still bleeding.

"Tommy, this isn't good." I say. I touch it gently. He winces. "Sorry." 

"I'm...fine." He pants. 

I kiss him. His lips are weirdly warm.

"Tommy, I think you have a fever." I say.

"Nah..." He says. He's breathing very hard. "If it'd help you realize that I don't, you can totally kiss me again."

I smile and shake my head. "Bloody hell, Tommy. You've been shot and you still make comments like that."

He smiles weakly. "God, I'm tired." He says hoarsely. 

I kiss his forehead. "You should sleep."

"I can't." He says. "We have to keep going."

"No way in hell am I letting you keep going." I say. "You look awful, Tommy."

He groans, shifting. "No. I have to." 

He tries to stand but I put my hands on his chest. 

"Tommy, if you get up, I'll punch you." I say.

"Why?" He asks.

"To knock you out." I say. "Come on, please, just lay down."

He smirks. "Yeah, yeah, fine."

I sit next to him, making him lay his head in my lap. I play with his hair. 

"I love you." I say. "I'm doing this for your own good."

"Mmm." He says. "I don't believe you."

"Shut up." I say, kissing him one more time. "Now go to sleep."

He sighs but closes his eyes and soon falls asleep. Soon enough, the sun starts to set. I lean back, and, somehow, fall asleep.

THOMAS POV

I wake the next morning with a dull ache in my shoulder. I push myself up, biting my lip to keep from crying out. Newt's still asleep, his head on his shoulder. I smile. I glance around. It's just a wide expanse of desert. Wait. It's just a wide expanse of desert. Where the shuck is everyone else?

"Newt. Newt, you gotta wake up." I say, shaking him. "Now. You gotta wake up now."

Newt wakes up. "Tommy, what is it?" He asks, standing. "Wait, where the hell is everyone?"

"I don't know!" I cry.

He puts his hand on my arm. "Okay. It's okay. We'll just find them."

"I'm pretty sure it isn't that simple." I say, looking around for any sign of them. 

"Okay, okay..." Newt runs a hand through his hair, thinking. "Damn it!" He says suddenly. 

"Hey, you're right." I say. "We'll find them."

"How, Tommy!?" He yells. "How the bloody hell are we supposed to find them in a huge desert? How? WHY ARE WE BACK HERE!?" 

I bite my lip. "I...I guess I don't know."

He looks at me, tears brimming in his eyes. "Neither to do I. Are we going to be okay?" He whispers. 

I pull him into a hug. "We'll be fine." I say into his ear. "We'll find them and we'll be fine."

He wraps his arms around my neck. "I hope you're right, Tommy." 

"I always am." I say.

"Oh, shut up." He says, chuckling, pulling away from me. He looks around. "I guess we better find those shanks, huh?"

"I guess so." I say, laughing. 

I grab his hand and lace our fingers together.

"But even if we were alone forever, just the two of us, we'd be fine." I say. 

He smiles. "I love you so much, Tommy."

"I love you too." I say. "Now come on, you're right. We gotta find those slintheads." 

A/N: Um...I had a question and now I totally forget it. Oh! I remember! Should I kill Elizabeth? I'm not sure. Lemme know. Love y'all! Thanks so much for reading.