Katelyn

Every morning has been the same since I lost my family, and I was slowly getting used to the feeling of being alone, but this morning I woke up feeling frustrated and tired. I didn't want to get up or do anything and I definitely didn't want to go to the office. I missed my boy so much, I felt suffocated whenever I thought of him. For the past few months I poured myself into my work, not eating properly or even looking decent enough to go out but I did, every day, because I missed them so much and working was the only way I could cope with their absence. But enough was enough. I didn't work so hard in my life to let a problem this small take everything away from me.

After telling my assistant I wouldn't be coming in, I put on clothes and for the first time in five months, went to the gym. My body needed a reminder of how great my life was before all this happened.

***
Two hours later, I was feeling energetic and peppy. My spirit was lifted and It felt good. I thought to do something nice for myself, so I went to the spar after and got a full-on body massage with manicures and pedicures. I had to stop looking like the world had ended.

So what if my family left me? What if I miss them so much I could die? That doesn't mean I have to stop living. whenever they are ready they'll come back and I'll be here looking like myself when that time comes. I will not be easily defeated by a mere stumbling block.

After a very much well deserved massage and body treatments, I drive home ready to show the world the new me, smiling duchennely, when something catches my eyes. I duck as quickly as I could to avoid being spotted but it was already too late, he saw me.

Shit.

I can't believe after his sermon on the world being too big a place for us to ever meet again, I meet him, not on the street or in a public place or even in the gym, but in my neighborhood coming out from a house that may or may not be his.

Double shit.

I park, taking my time to get out as my brain slowly make sense of the situation, he walked over to my car.

"Hi. Small world." He still had that smile from the bar.

"The irony, right?" i scoffed.

"I know. But you know what they say. If we meet twice, it's no longer a coincidence, it's destiny." he laughs, looking at me like he just made a good joke and I missed it.

"What a load of crap," I muttered to myself, but loud enough so he heard. He simply smiled like I paid him a compliment.

"So, you live around here or... you're here to visit?"

"Cut the bullshit. You know I live here." I point towards my house. "And seeing you have those outrageous pants on, I'm guessing you live around here too. How long?"

"About four months now. You?"

"I'm sorry but I don't have the time to be all neighborly with you and exchange life stories and all when we just met. Oh!!! wait a second... I think we already did that when you convinced me we'd never meet again because the world was too small a place. Remember that?"

I'm angry and I know he knows it.

This may not be his fault, but I was pissed that I let a stranger convince me otherwise about something I knew was bound to happen. The one time I didn't listen to myself, I end up sharing my life problems with my neighbor, and now everybody's going to want to stick their nose in my business and that's only second to the horrible idea that they know what's going on in my life.

"Look lady, I'm not pleased with meeting you here either, it's not like you're all rainbows and sunshine yourself."

Lady? Now he calls me Lady. Three months ago he called me cute, and now I'm Lady?

"I get it. You're not the type of woman that wants people knowing her business, but I'm not the kind of man that goes about blabbing other peoples business, I have better things to do. Look, we're neighbors and I'd hate for things to get awkward whenever we meet. That's all I came to say. Have a wonderful day ma'am."

Ma'am? It's like he's trying to get a rise out of me. I'm not that old, why would he call me ma'am. And why didn't he's parents teach him manners? He talks so rudely to people older than him and he even walks out on them. What rubbish did they teach him?

I stormed into the house, my good mood ruined. As I took a hot shower I got to thinking and my mind wanders back to that night at the bar, and I realised I never said thank you for all he did for me, I didn't even know how I got home that night. I knew I wasn't happy to see him again, but I would be the worst human being on earth if I didn't acknowledge him for all the good he'd done.

So, nonchalantly, with a pained gut and pride, I walk over to his house. From afar I could see him in his yard lying under his car trying to fix it, and immediately ninety-nine percent of me wanted to turn back and just forget I ever met him, but the one percent reminded me of how uncomfortable it would be every time we bumped into each other, so I took in deep breaths and continued on my stride.

When I got there, he rolled out on his creeper and wiped his hands on a small pink towel acting like I wasn't standing very close to him, and since I kind off deserved that, I ignored the cruelty and got to doing what I was there for.

"I may have been a little rude to you. I misspoke."

He eyed me like I said something wrong. "A little rude? misspoke?"

For Gods sake! What did this guy want, for me to spell it out?

"Fine. I'm sorry I was rude to you when all you were to me was kind. Thank you for helping me get home safely."

"You're welcome."

He returned back to his work, and I turned to leave, but I had something I needed to get off my chest.

"You've been here for what? Four months now, right? and I presume you've known for a while that we are neighbours, so... why didn't you say anything to me?"

"You didn't like the idea of telling a stranger your problems, I knew you'd freak out if you found out that stranger was your neighbour."

"Was this before or after I told you everything?"

"After. When I asked and I was told where you lived."

"Thank you for at least considering my feelings. I appreciate it."

"Wow. First you say sorry, and now you're saying thank you for the second time today and in less than ten minutes nonetheless, maybe your neighbours were wrong about you." He teased.

I couldn't help the laughter.

"Who said what? I want names..." I joke.

He has a mischievous smile on. "Oh, trust me, it's nothing I haven't seen before."

I'm blushing so hard my cheeks hurt. Apologising wasn't so bad.

"I'm glad you don't hold grudges like some people I know."

"Well, I know first hand that they have their reasons," He joked, "Give them time."

I smiled gaily. How could a stranger make me feel what i haven't felt ever since my world came crumbling down.

"I'm leaving now. If you ever need anything, i'll be happy to be of help."

"Really?" he sounded incredulous.

"That would be the neighbourly thing to do."