Rachael

"You didn't talk to boys for a week because you were so scared." Brie laughed.

"So did you. Remember when Martin said hi while touching your palms and you freaked out?."

"Nuh-uh... that was you. You ran like the credulous girl you've always been."

"Potato potahto. And... and... You were scared too, you just did a better job hiding it."

"Like heck i wasn't... I had nothing to be scared of. I remember that week to be your holy week. Once it was over, you went back to being your naughty self."

"Shut up and wash those veggies properly. And don't forget i have a knife." jokingly, i menacingly sway the knife in front of my face in a way that sent a message of threat. She laughed loudly.

"You know Tobi right?"

"Mr. we'll have cute babies together?"

I roll my eyes. She will never let me live this down.

"Anyhoo, we got back together." i announced happily

She stopped washing the vegetables. "You got back together with him?" Her voice sounded incredulous.

"I did. I love him Brie, and I don't want to give up on love because of something so... not important. It's silly. I know when the time comes, he'd have figured out what he wants to do, or not, but for now I'll like to enjoy being in this."

She sneered. I gave a long speech about how I'm willing to give love a chance in my life despite all the objections in my mind and she sneers.

"What?"

"Nothing. I'm beyond surprised that's all."

"What's so surprising about this?"

"Let it go Rach, I said it's nothing." she walked out of the kitchen into the sitting room, her strides long as i followed behind.

"You say it's nothing, but the look on your face and your tone of voice says differently. Plus, you're walking away from the meal we're trying to put together. You have something to say, just say it."

She stopped abruptly turning towards me.

"Fine. it's the hypocrisy of it all that i can't believe. You are many things Rach, but a hypocrite? That, I never expected."

"This is different Brie and you know it."

" You're right. This is definitely different. Mine has to do with the woman that gave birth to me and nursed me to adulthood, and yours has to do with another cute boy you're obsessed with." she scolded.

Where was this coming from? I know many times I told her to stand up to her mother because she was hurting too much in their relationship, but this was different, my relationship with Tobi was very different from her relationship with her mom. For starters, he doesn't abuse me or hurt me in any way.

"I don't know what's gotten into you, but my life decisions are none of your business, especially if you refuse to understand them before you judge them."

"I'm the one judging without understanding? Every time I told you about my mom, you were quick to condemn and tell me I'm better off without her because I didn't need something so toxic in my life without considering that she was my mother. 'Leave her' you would say. 'Report her for child abuse' you had said. 'Never settle for anything less especially when it had to do with love' you said that to me all the time, and now you're settling for less? C'mon Rach, are you really going to defend this?"

"Your mother doesn't love you Brie, but Tobi loves me. How is that the same. He may not be what I want in a man now, but we've got so many years to fix that, and  at least he doesn't treat me like I'm a mistake. It's been years now Brie, wake up, stop hoping she'll come around cause that is never happening." I scream