Adrian

I did what I said I wouldn't do. I went to a bar and almost had a drink. I was so frustrated with how everything was turning out that for a split second, I lost it and found myself almost drinking. Things weren't going as I had planned, I knew it wasn't gonna be easy, what I didn't know was how hard it was going to be.

Leaving home to a new city and adjusting was supposed to be the hardest part of my plan, but so far it was the easiest thing I did compared to the others on my list. It's been a month since i Informed my mother I was leaving home for New York, yet I have not made any progress in my plans. So far I've been able to check two things off my itinerary;1: go to New York, 2: get a place to stay in New York.

I laid on my bed belly up as I stared distraitly at my ceiling, sleep evading me, my anxieties a perfect trap for-as my mother said-my fragile mind. Needing a distraction, I came out to the bar on my street.

When I first moved here, my neighbour told me, amongst many other things, that they sold the best ale if I was ever interested, I later found out that he owned the place and he usually advertised by hiding that fact. That didn't matter though, I never liked alcohol. My fear of turning out like my father kept me in check. I didn't want to put any woman through what my mother suffered.

I was just about to leave the bar when a blonde, probably in her early thirties hit me with her bag and walked past without apologizing. I was already in a sour mood and usually, I wouldn't mind if a lady disrespected me a little, but this wasn't the usual me so I went after her, wanting an apology for the bag-slap when I realized who it was. I stopped on my tracks, going back to my table.

She looked prettier at night than during the day.

"Why do you keep staring at the old lady?"

The waitress said smiling, she was dressed in very thin clothing and judging by the way she carried herself in the bar, she didn't mind the clothes.

"She's my neighbour. I'm new in town."

I didn't want to converse with her but something about a man being caught red handed staring at a woman gets you talking to rude and annoying waitresses despite yourself. Not knowing what to say was even worse, so i stuck with the truth. Honesty was the best policy, after all.

"I knew it. I and the girls back there were saying we'd remember if a cute face like yours had come in here before."

She was flirting with me.

Oh, God!!!

How in heaven's name do I tell her i'm not interested without getting myself blacklisted. I can't afford any mistakes now that heaven was finally smiling down on me. If Katelyn frequented here as much as I'm thinking she does, then I'd need to play nice with this waitress so as not to get myself hated and snarked at any time I come here.

"Ummm... yeah."

"So, would you like to order something right now or is your preference not on the menu?"

she winked, brushing her upper lip with her tongue like something sweet was on it, except she did it seductively. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, she bent so low her boobs nearly came out from its straps.

"You know what, I just realised what I like is very much on the menu. A glass of your best Ale, please?"

I could see her countenance change, luckily, she simply brought my order without a word of discontentment. I took it as a win being that I didn't get the eye rolling or the sass and most importantly, the confrontation. I kept my guard up still, I wasn't sure I was out of the woods yet. Barely a minute later, I saw another waitress, a brunette wearing the same outfit as the last, she winked at me as she passed by my table.