Brianna

Whenever I think I'm lost and nothing is going my way, something good always happens and it makes me feel like I have a guardian angel who is so dedicated to removing obstacles from my path. I have fought emotional wars too numerous to mention, but every time, I come out stronger than I've ever been and somehow the process helps me grow.

Years ago I was at a place where darkness was all I could see and hurting my daily bread, and in that pain I found Rachael, my confidant, my love, my best friend and my sister. We may have had our differences but we grew stronger and closer with each fight. This time, when I felt like I was at the cusp between losing myself and losing my family I found Adrian, and my head was afloat again. He made simple things like laughing and smiling easy for me to do again. There were only two people who could do that, and that was Kevin and Rach, but now I have one more person and my day gets better whenever I see him.

It's been only a few months since we started dating but we've had countless lunches, dinners and breakfast dates, once in a while we even go on double dates with Rach and Tobi. Every day was a fairytale for me and I almost forgot about my family, almost, until I received a call from my mother begging me to come back home one faithful evening.

I didn't want to, I was too happy where I was and the thought that I would have to go back to living an agonizing life all thanks to my mother, gave me the chills. If I went back to her, I'd be jeopardizing not just my happiness but also my relationship because she would never accept Adrian.

Adrian was perfect in every sense. I've always had a thing for hunks and cuties and he was the perfect combination of masculinity and a touch of feminine. I come alive every time I rake my hands through his long black hair, staring deeply into his black eyes, small lips touching mine as trimmed beards tickle my face, and when I lie on his broad chest and my hands run through six packs and biceps and triceps and something big that has me dripping in my pants and scared as hell at the same time. He turns me on every time his cute heart shaped face comes into sight though I'm afraid to do anything with the feeling, and by the way his dick gets hard whenever he holds and squeezes my ass, I'm sure I do the same thing to him.

I envisioned a future with him the day he told me he was happy to wait till I was ready for sex and there was no rush whatsoever, loving me more with each passing day and never complaining about my inability to cater for his urges like my ex. He's been so understanding that I can't help falling In love with him all over again, so how could I give up all of this for a selfish woman like my mother?...

The hurt in her voice when I told her I wasn't ready to come home was palpable but I would not be blackmailed emotionally by her anymore. Though I stood my ground and refused to go back home, I didn't feel too good about it and my heart ached for her. After a lot of reasoning, I decided to go visit one evening after I closed up. I wanted Rachael to accompany me but she had date night with Tobi, and I couldn't ask Adrian because he had earlier called saying there was an emergency and he wouldn't be able to pick me up from the bookstore, so I went to see my mother alone.

I got to the door and knocked for a while only to realize minutes later that there was no one at home. I was about to leave when I remembered where mom usually kept the spare key.

"Always under the flower pot. She hasn't changed at all." I muttered to myself as a wry giggle escaped my lips.

I opened the door and as the all to familiar smell of the house accompanied with its ambience hits me, I felt nostalgic to the point of tearing up. My eyes watered as low moans I couldn't control came out my lips the minute I saw all the bottles of alcohol littered on the ground in our sitting room. Mom had been so lonely she took to drinking and I was so selfish not to realize how much she was hurting. As I picked every bottle, I cried tears of pain for my mother who had been going through a lot while I lived in my personal paradise.

I tried calling her but it went straight to voicemail, deciding to wait till she got back from wherever it was that she went, I laid on the couch resting my head on the armrest, my thoughts wandering everywhere. I felt a grudge towards Kevin I didn't know I was capable of before, because he left my mother after she told him who I really was to her.

I thought he loved her, leaving her and staying away for so long  because of this and making her suffer alone made liking him an onerous task. He always said he loved me like I was his, but when he found out I was his wife's child, he up and left with my brother without a word to me. His actions were justifiable at first but he'd been gone so long I've almost forgotten what broke our home in the first place, and I began to slowly resent him even though I knew I shouldn't.

I was dozing off when I heard voices that sounded familiar.

"Geez Katelyn, watch your step or we are both going to trip." The guy said.

I couldn't quite make out what my mom was saying in her drunken state but it sounded like a cringe worthy  flirtatious remark.

Unable to place a face or name to the voice, I walked to the door in my semi-sleepy state to help get my mom to bed when shock from who stood before me jolted me awake.

"Adrian?"...