Chapter One: Illusion

Before dependence, there was something else. Something almost sinister, bubbling under the surface of the skin. Clawing at the blood vessels and tissues, begging to be heard and understood. Fear clouded the judgment of any sane person, pain made those clouds disappear.

I am no different than you. I feel, I think, I smile, I cry, I hate and I love. What I go through should not make you look at me any different; because I am human. The clouds were dark, bursting with want, rain being held but never falling. How does one survive in a world so bleak, and stripped of its colours?

Shame.

They've all looked at me that way. Hinata, keep your head up high, be a good heiress, and if you can not be a leader, be a wife. Be a mother. Stand to the side, but look forward with your shoulders squared. Don't become a disgrace, do as you're told.

You are his wife.

I understand father, I understand now that I can see. I should not meddle with the affairs of those who frankly have no use for me. I am there to lift them up, I am the supporting role. Standing to the side even if I want to be in the spotlight. Even if I want to be treated with fairness like everyone else.

There's a faucet in my eyes that has leaked for some time. The constant dripping echoing in my ears, taunting me to open or close it completely. Slowly, it drives me mad. I'm standing along a cliff, the bottom sightless, I'm scared but accepting.

If I fall now, would anyone catch me?

Chapter One: Illusion

"Oh no." Were the words that escaped the lips of the Hyuga woman as she stumbled out of her bedroom while pulling a shirt over her damp hair. Having completely forgotten about the food she was occupied with cooking before she decided to take a bath, the smell of burning food made her nose sting as she turned the stove off quickly.

Sighing, she stared at the vegetables that stuck to one another. Deciding to salvage whatever wasn't falling apart with her prying, she filled the pan back up with warm water to help release the ones that were completely glued to the bottom. Seasoning the small bowl of veggies, she placed them on the table beside the rest of the food she prepared and warmed up prior.

He would be home soon.

Moving quickly, she proceeded to clean the kitchen — erasing any evidence of her mishap — and the living room. Opening the window, Hinata took a deep breath and smiled. The sun was high in the sky, and the breeze was cool today unlike the week before. Once she was finished with the garbage, taking them out and replacing the bags, she washed her hands.

His warm arms found their way around her waist, his chin resting on her shoulder as she heard him whisper. "I'm home."

"Welcome back." Hinata smiled and turned around to take a look at her husband.

Naruto held his arm open, waiting for her to hug him to finalize his arrival. Hinata scrunched her nose and shook her head, refusing to step any closer to him now that she could see how dirty he was. She was not going to take another shower. Seeing him pout, she giggled and patted him on his shoulder instead.

"You cooked." He followed her to the table, ready to sit down but her voice stopped him.

"You need to get cleaned first, no dirty hands beside the food."