Chapter 6 - Harry's Girlfriend

June 21

"I'll always love you, Honey," Dad murmured as he stood with his hand on the knob of the front door.  "It's just . . . you're mom and I -- it wasn't meant to be."

"Please don't go, Daddy!"  I cried.  I swiped my hand across my eyes that had blurred my image of Dad.  "I need you."

"Honey."  He opened the front door and slowly began to make his departure as he spoke his last words.  "You are a very strong eight-year-old girl, you and your mom both.  You don't need me."

"Wait--"  Before I could finish my desperate cry for his return, Dad had already shut the door behind him.

"Don't worry, Honey."  I spun around to find Mom in the hallway with her hands folded neatly across her front.  She smiled tightly and not a tear glistened in her eye.  "Maybe you'll have a new Daddy someday."

I stumbled to the window adjacent to the front door and peered outside.  Watching as Dad climbed into his car, I caught glimpse of a blond woman leaning across the passenger seat to kiss Dad on the cheek as Dad buried his head in his hands.

"He didn't even hug and kiss me goodbye."

 **********

A constant vibration rippled in my hand, drawing me from my thoughts. I glanced to my phone under the table.  For a moment I had forgotten where I was, but then I remembered:  A restaurant in New York with Mom and Allie.    It had been three days since I first fixed my eyes upon the boys of One Direction.  Since then, we've traveled to New York to prepare for the wedding.  Mom found it necessary to get to know Allie Watson before the wedding, so we arranged to meet her.

Mom was chatting away about her dreams of wedding in New York along with a brief explanation as to how she met Ethan.  Allie was simply sipping on her iced water, listening.

"Well . . . I've talked an aweful lot now," Mom exclaimed cheerfully.  I think it's about time I freshen up in the bathroom.  Would you ladies please excuse me?"

"Of course,"  Allie replied politely. 

I clicked on my phone and my eyes scanned over the text from Eliza.

eliza marieee:  hows it goingg?

Holly Bradford:  having lunch with the prey.  weddings tomorrow

eliza marieee:  haha yayyy

Holly Bradford:  i hate you

eliza marieee:  i knowww (;

"Pretty crazy, right?"  Allie began, probably due to the uncomfortable silence she was feeling.   "I mean, it's all happening so fast.   I haven't even had time to process it all.  It's like--"

"That's what people do when they're desperate and lonely."

"What is it that you said?"  Allie asked after many slow seconds.

Holly Bradford:  youre not going to find what your looking for in him.  trust me

eliza marieee:  oh i know i will (;

Holly Bradford:  when people are alone and sad they look for things that they think will make them happy but dont find it

eliza marieee:  im not saddd im excitedd <3

I rose my gaze to meet Allie's when it struck me that I had read my text aloud.  It made no difference.  The statement worked for both conversations.  Kinda.  "It's what I call loneliness."