Chapter 27 - Skinny

"You won't ever stop wearing those shoes, will you?"

I glanced to my feet and clicked my heels together as I gripped the railing of the balcony.  "Nope.  I'll never stop wearing them."

The lantern from behind cast yellow light across my blue velvet heels until Harry's silhouette crowded the light.  He dipped his chin in my neck from behind and rubbed my arms.  "Do you think you'll ever let it go?"

I shook my head and pushed away the strands of hair that were tossed by the icy breeze.  It was far too cold for June.  "What . . . the fact that I ruined Niall's and Allie's life?  Oh, sure."

"I want to see them."

I stared unblinkingly through the night.  Random windows from the nearby skyscrapers flashed on or off during various times over the course of the few seconds I stared at them.  Cars and taxis honked at one another from the streets several feet below.  "I don't."

"Allie's graduating in a few days."

"Wonderful."

"Come on."

"I'm going inside."  I unraveled Harry from my body and stepped away.

"We can't hide forever."

I bent down to the chair adjacent to the exit and picked up my box of cigarettes.  Without looking to Harry, I ignited my cig.

"They say things about us.  You and me."

I pivoted to Harry and puffed a cloud of smoke from my lungs.  "Well, we practically live together."

Harry jutted his hands in his pockets.  "I know.  I don't want to live like this."

'What are you saying?  You're walking out on me?"

"No . . . no,"  Harry shook his head.  "I just . . . I want things to change.  And you do, too."

"Do I?"  I removed my box of cigs from the chair, tossed them on the floor, and crashed in the chair.

"You're clothes barely fit."

I crossed my legs.  "That's because they're your clothes."

"That's a lie and you know it.  Your skinny jeans are practically flare pants now."

"Please just leave if you want to argue."

"Holly."  Harry bent before my chair and placed his hands on my knees.  "You know we can't live like this.  You know we can't."

I blinked, gazing into those green eyes of his that were illuminated by the city lights.  I watched my reflection in the huge, black pupils of his eyes.  My cheeks were sallow, my hair was stringy, thin.

"I know,"  I whispered.  Harry reached his finger for my cheek that had become wet with tears.  "I know."

December 3

"Get out.  Get out now."  

"Ouch," I whimpered when the bouncer released me from his grip.  Shortly after Harry and Eliza sparked chaos, we were booted out of the club by the bounceres.  One of them shoved me toward Niall who sheathed me in his arms once again.  My face was still saturated with tears.

I would have freed myself from Niall had it not been so frigidly cold out.  

"Come on, Liza," Harry hissed, gripping Eliza's shoulder and driving her toward the road.  "Let's go."