Chapter 30 - Backbone

"It's coming, it's coming, it's coming."  Christina grasped Allie's ankle as she heaved for breath.

Tom rushed to his wife and fell to his knees.  "Calm down, calm down, Chris."  He pressed his hands on her shoulders and spun to me.  "Holly, call 911."

I pulled my phone from my pocket, slid open from the lock screen and typed 911.  No service flashed across the top of my screen.  "It's not working,"  I trembled.

"The weather's horrible," Allie added.  "I couldn't get a taxi, I had to walk from the airport."

"Oh, no.  Oh, no, no, no.  There's no way I'm delivering my child in this apartment."

Harry dashed behind Christina and lifted her from beneath her arms.  Tom lifted her from beneath her legs and together, after Allie moved out of their way, they carried her to the couch.

"We don't have a choice, babe.  You can do it."

"We'll get some towels," I decided after poking Niall and Eliza.  They followed me to the closet where I handed them the maximum amount of towels that the drawers and the cabinets obtained.  

I was filing after Niall out of the bathroom when Niall pivoted to me and cocked a brow.  "Allie's aunt's really pregnant, right?"

I fired Niall a wry glance.  "Uh, yeah . . . why . . .?"

Niall smirked, shrugged, and answered before continuing foreword, "Tell ya later."

When we returned to the living room, we positioned some towels beneath Christina, and some of them at her feet.  Beads of sweat condensed on Christina's forehead as she unzipped her pants.  "Leave now, fellas, of you don't want to see this."

Niall slapped his hands over his eyes, groaned, and pushed the door open to a random room -- my room.

"I'll stay."  Harry, who was standing behind Christina, behind the couch, gave Christina a gentle pat on her shoulder.  Christina reached for his hand, squeezed, and continued to remove her pants, her underwear.  

"Can we at least give her a blanket or something so Harry won't be scarred for life?"  Eliza whined.

"Yeah, like Harry's never seen women parts before," I muttered to Eliza.

Eliza glared at me, but I didn't flinch.  "Just . . . where do you keep your blankets?"

Without removing my gaze from Harry's girlfriend, I pointed to one of the chairs.  "There's one on that chair."

Eliza held my gaze for a few more seconds before tossing her hair aside and strutting to the chair.  "Here."  She threw Uncle Tom the blanket and Christina scrambled to gather it into her hands.  Allie helped her arrange it and even held it above Tom who kneeled before Christina.  Eliza took her stance behind me to watch the delivery.

"I feel him.  I feel him coming."  Christina tightened her eyes closed and created fists of her hands.

"He?"  Allie questioned.  "You told me you wanted to be surprised!"

Christina shook her head and barely managed to speak her reply as she gasped for breath.  "We found out a few weeks ago.  We wanted you to be surprised -- oh! Ow!"

"Oh my goodness . . .."

"Hey, don't let that blanket drop.  I won't be able to see the head--"

"You can see the head!"  Christina panted.  She pushed herself up with her hands that were positioned on the seat of the couch, but Harry restrained her.