Chapter 2 - The Scandal

"You have to find me a new job," Eliza declared at last.  I had been listening to my former best friend slur nasty comments at me about how trashy I was.  "And if you don't, it just proves how much of a whore you are."

I stifled the tears that were rippling in my eyes.  If only I could put the shades back on, but doing so would only express the offense I was talking to her words that unfortunately rung true.  "I'll find you a new job."

"Yeah, you'd better, because sorry won't cut it.  And what hurts the most is how much of a friend I thought you were," she continued even after I turned away to return the gas pump to its proper place.  I considered it safe to wear the aviators again so I slid them over my eyes.  "Like, seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if you told everyone about Zayn."

I pursed my lips together and attempted to step into my new car nonchalantly.  Before turning on the engine, I replied, "I didn't tell anyone about Zayn."  

"Right," she snarled.  "I have no reason to believe that you're not a liar, too."

"I'll find you a job," I repeated.  I hoped that I sounded even slightly more confident or at least louder than the first time I said this, but I wasn't so sure.

"People think I'm rich.  I'm not.  I need to make my own money, just like my parents.  I don't --"

The sound of the engine drowned Eliza's harsh voice as I jetted through the gas station.  My hands were trembling.  My eyes stung with fresh tears that clung as specks to mascara.  And my heart, though beating at a healthy rate, was grieved by my faults I quite possibly may be unable of escaping.  I wanted to rid from my mind the scene that just occurred, but I couldn't, not even when I walked through the salon doors, approached by my stylist.

"Lovely to see you again, Holly," the Australian woman smiled as she seated me in the chair.

"You, too, Avery."  I pulled the aviators off my face and hooked them on my shirt.

"You're roots have barely grown in, love!"

"Yeah, but when you're a natural brunette, it gets pretty noticeable."

"Yes, yes, I see.  You must make some good money to able to pay for a touch up so soon!"  She laughed as she tousled with my hair.

"I guess.  I have a pretty good job."  I fiddled with the hem of my shirt, thinking of Eliza.  Thinking of how I not only caused her to lose her job, but about how I also managed to destroy her reputation.  It's no question that she will obviously prolong the secret of her relationship with Zayn Malik.

Zayn.  

This single name regretfully drew me back to the chain of events that transpired over the past few months up to yesterday.  I shut my eyes as Avery striped from my hair every inch of natural color.

"Holly!"  cheered Eliza Fields happily when I had arrived at Starbucks for my shift.  

I grinned at my friend.  "Hey, Eliza."

I took my place behind the counter after I'd quickly punched in.  Staring unblinkingly at the glass door, I awaited the arrival of a customer.

"Holly," Eliza whispered as she stepped toward me slightly.  "I'm so happy right now I could cry."

"Why?"  I shrugged.  A customer had opened the doors, allowing a flood of sunshine to temporarily occupy the shop.  "Did Harry ask you out or something?"

"Hush!"  She glanced swiftly between me and the customer who now stood before me, they're neck craned toward the menu that floated above our heads.  At last the woman ordered and strolled away.  I looked to my best friend expectantly, raising my brows.