Chapter 8 - Dancing with Niall

After the new Mr. and Mrs. Watson had danced to their special song from high school, all the guests were invited to dance as well. A slow, Whitney Houston song began, and I had barely been standing idol for a few seconds before a young gentleman tapped me on the shoulder.

"Wanna dance?"

I grinned at Niall and placed my hands on his shoulders. His cheeks flamed red as he slid his hands to my waist. Together we moved clumsily, constantly glancing down to the floor to be sure we weren't stepping on each other's toes. I knew how to dance, but Niall, on the other hand -- I'm not so sure. He appeared to be injured, actually. Every other step we took, Niall would grimace and emit a soft, breathy gasp. Perhaps his foot was upsetting him.

"Sorry," he laughed shyly.

"That's all right," I replied, softly chuckling.

I was actually having fun with this cute, Irish kid. I expected this day to be extremely difficult and interminable, but Niall had proved me wrong. I was, however, waiting for him to ask me about Allie, and after about a minute of spontaneous chatter, he asked.

"So . . . I kind of wanted ta ask ya about -- ya seem ta know -- before you said --"

"You wanna know why I think Allie might like you," I aided him.

"Yeah," he breathed uneasily. His eyes darted nervously about the room, but they eventually landed on someone behind me -- Allie, no doubt.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I don't know Allie that well, but I just kinda get that vibe."

Niall nodded then drooped his head. "Oh . . .."

I frowned for the broken-hearted boy I danced with. Heartbreak feels like drowning in a thick, heavy dress. No matter how much effort you put into swimming to the surface, the weight drags you down relentlessly, preventing you from grasping that breath of air you so desperately need. Once one has become consumed in the inevitable trap of love, heartbreak is always waiting, waiting to shatter your hopes and dreams, waiting to drown her victims.

"I wouldn't worry," I assured him. "They probably won't be dating long, anyway."

"Ya think so?" he gazed his sea blue eyes into mine hopefully.

I nodded. "Yeah. Oh yeah, definitely."

He smirked. "I hope so. And I'm glad ya think so."

I winked humorously. I couldn't help it. Niall had brightened my mood immensely.

A few more moments of graceless dancing remained until the song ended. Both of us were relieved when an up-beat song blared through the speakers next. Neither of us knew the song, though. Leave it to Mom and her high school sweetheart to choose a playlist of songs entirely from the 70's and 80's.

"So," I began, "This is going to sound really dumb, but are you in One Direction? I'm not really obsessed. No offense."

"I am! I figured ya weren't a fan after I had ta tell ya my name." He laughed.

"Right, okay, that makes sense. How come all the other people in the band aren't here?"

"We had a ton of interviews this week. Me and Harry sorta snuck off."

"Oh. Cool."

"Holly!" came Allie's voice from behind me just as the song was winding down. "Have you met Harry?"

"Hi, Holly," smiled Harry who stood closely beside Allie. "It's very lovely to meet you."

"Hi," I greeted. I didn't expect him to pull me into a hug.

"I'm a hugger," he told me afterwards.

"I am, too."

"Finally!" Harry exclaimed, temporarily throwing his arms in the air. "Allie was not a hugger when we met."

Allie punched him in the shoulder. "Shut up, you!"

"Zayn had met her before me, and he hugged her. And then! when I went to meet her -- Zayn told me that she was awkward at giving hugs, so--"

"You know what he did?" Allie interjected.

"I shook her hand!" Harry broke into a hysterical laughter. He was actually holding his stomach as he threw his head back.

"Allie, he never laughs like this, it must ha' been terrible," Niall exclaimed.

"It was! I don't know why Harry thought I wouldn't want to hug him." Allie held up her hands defensively. "Zayn, is just -- you need to not listen to Zayn!"

"N-no trust me," Harry tried between gasps for air. "I'm glad I did!"

"Harry Styles! Stop it!" Allie attempted to shake his shoulders to rid him from his frenzied hysterics, but when this proved unsuccessful, she dug her fingers into his stomach and began to tickle him.

"N-no! S-stop!" He begged, crouching over in hopes of wriggling from her grasp.

"You stop!"

Shoot. They were in love. Shamelessly. Allie didn't even consider the fact that someone who also was in love with her stood nearby. She was too absorbed with Harry to even think about him.

And Eliza. She underestimates the complications of her scheme. The web she's spun for me has grown increasingly sticky and tangled.

When I turned to glance at Niall sympathetically, his previous presence was void. He had disappeared from out conversation the same way he had disappeared from a spot in Allie's heart that was now consumed with Harry.

Wow this is short 3: sorry...the next chapter is long though, so...look forward to Sunday (: