1. The Sakura Fiasco

Since that awkward encounter, Haru had been nervously waiting for Fujiwara to follow through on his promise to give him a tour of the area

Since that awkward encounter, Haru had been nervously waiting for Fujiwara to follow through on his promise to give him a tour of the area. It's not like he couldn't explore it on his own; he just wanted to get it done with. But Fujiwara hadn't shown up yet, probably waiting for the first day of the semester, which was set for next Monday. Every morning, Haru saw him walking to work alone, dressed all in black as if he were headed to a funeral.

Back at home, Haru pitched in with cleaning for Nishii-san. She did her best efforts to treat him like an honored guest but he couldn't stand sitting around doing nothing all day. It felt weird; he was used to getting up early and spending most of his day at school or Senta*. So, he took matters into his own hands, cleaned up everything, then hopped on the train to wander around Tokyo, hitting up the popular tourist spots he'd seen on TV before.

Nishii-san's place in Kunitachi was just an hour away from central Tokyo. As Haru landed in Kunitachi, he expected the usual urban hustle, but it was nothing compared to the chaos of Shibuya. Having been to Osaka and Kyoto, Shibuya redefined "crowded" for him—never had he witnessed so many people crossing the street all at once. The city was bursting with energy.

The more he explored Tokyo, the more he grasped the stark contrast it held to his serene life in Yoshino. Back there, everything was laid-back; he could leisurely stroll, breathe in fresh air, and strike up conversations with anyone he met on the street. The small population created a slow-paced ambiance, typical of Japan's countryside. In Tokyo, however, it felt like a race against the clock. Haru shared with Nishii-san how he got bumped a dozen times in Shinjuku for walking too slow and recounted his first experience being pushed into a packed, sardine-like morning train by the station guard.

One evening, Nishii-san filled him in over dinner.

"Now, you're getting a glimpse of the true Tokyo – not always the vibrant, cheerful city depicted in travel brochures or on TV. It's a bit different, almost the opposite. Living here means adapting and understanding. And the golden rule? We don't interfere in others' business. 'Hito sore sore'."

Haru nodded. It means 'each person to themselves'.

"Don't get me wrong. It might sound a bit self-centered, but that doesn't make us terrible people," Nishii-san continued. "A lot of folks come to Tokyo without realizing this and end up feeling kinda down or isolated. Living here, you've gotta be independent because we can't always lean on others—everyone's got their own stuff going on. It's a big city, more problems," she chuckled. "And if you find someone who genuinely cares for you, well, consider yourself lucky."

"You're saying I should manage my expectations."

"More or less," Nishii-san replied with a casual shrug. "But hey, on the bright side, we're pretty resilient. Life throws its challenges at us, but that doesn't mean we can't overcome them. Nothing's impossible. Instead of just going with the flow, it's all about embracing that fighting spirit."