9. Childhood Friends

Yuki stacked the papers on his desk into a pile, realizing he didn't need to keep them anymore—there wouldn't be any more revisions. He had decided to put an end to it. Taking his satchel, he put on his jacket and headed out. Today was garbage collection day, and the truck usually showed up around nine o'clock.

"Good morning."

He looked up and saw Haru standing in front of him, smiling so wide that his teeth showed—pearly white, contrasting his dark complexion. When they first met, he thought Haru was from Okinawa or another coastal city, not a highland like Yoshino. He just found out that there were also dark-skinned mountain people.

"Morning."

"Do you need help with the garbage, Fujiwara-san?"

"Just some papers." Haru's always-ready-to-help attitude reminded Yuki of someone. "I can manage – oh, okay." Haru had already helped him before he could say no. "Thanks."

They started their morning walk as usual. Yuki didn't feel like chatting or seeing Haru, this was one of those days when he woke up on the wrong side of the bed and didn't feel like doing anything. He was just tired. Being a failure was tiring. But he figured he couldn't just shake him off, at least not today, since they already met.

"Today, Nishii-san has the afternoon shift," Haru announced.

Meaning Haru would be having dinner alone again, Yuki thought. Big chance there'd be another food delivery. Something fried, he guessed.

"I have to work late today," he replied, wishing for no more food delivery.

Haru's face looked a bit disappointed. "Please do your best."

Yuki just nodded.

"Anyway, I want to ask you something, Fujiwara-san."

"Go ahead."

"Are you busy this Saturday? I'm planning a trip to Odaiba."

He remembered Haru once said that he had never seen the sea. "Sounds interesting."

"Would you like to come?"

"Is that an invite? Did Nishii-san set you up again this time?"

"No, this was all my idea. I want to see the sea."

"Having a lot of free time now, aren't you?"

"It's not good to study all the time, you know. That's why schools have breaks."

He studied Haru, looking for some signs of a phony motive but the guy looked pretty innocent. Haru had a thin, well-proportioned face, short hair with slightly childish bangs, and a straight nose. One dimple adorned his right cheek – asymmetrical, but cute. This guy reminded him of a kitten: friendly and adorable.