19. Silence

"Haru?"

"Haru?"

He didn't answer, still staring blankly out the window. Worried, Chie checked too. All she saw were some students outside, gossiping and wandering about. What was Haru so engrossed in that he couldn't spare her a glance?

"Haru? Helloooo!"

Chie waved her hand in front of his face, but he remained frozen. Time for drastic measures—she pinched his cheek.

"Yeah?" Haru stretched. "What's up, Chie?"

Chie was stunned. Was he possessed or something?

"Here..." She handed her notebook to him. "Notes from Nishima-sensei's seminar class. Snagged it all the way from Kanagawa. It's not much, just a page and a half."

Haru took the notes and stashed them in his bag. "Thanks."

Then, like a moth to a flame, his gaze drifted back outside.

"What happened?" Haru couldn't fool her; he was restless, practically jittery. Everyone could see it.

"Nothing," Haru lied, taking a bite of his onigiri. "So, about today's class—"

"Let me ask you again," Chie interrupted him. "What happened?"

Haru grimaced, setting down his onigiri. He offered Chie half, but she declined. "What makes you think something's wrong with me?"

"You've gone quiet. I mean, you were never the chatterbox, but lately, it's like you've turned into a silent mountain. Ignoring classes, lost in thoughts, staring out the window."

"Really?"

"Yes!"

Haru stretched, yawning, his hands reaching for the sky. "I've got a lot on my mind, Chie. That's all."

"I know. Now spill it! I can't deal with you in this weird mood."

Haru squinted. "Chie, you really care about me, huh?"

"Well, you're basically my only close friend," Chie said with a can't-help-it tone. "As a friend, it's my duty to care for you, you know?"

"You should hang out more. Make more friends."

"Hanging out with the wrong crowd can be a real headache."

They both chuckled.

"It's not a huge problem," Haru admitted. "Mother turned the side yard of the ryokan into a dance floor, and things got crazy. It was cool, but we were drowning in it. Grandma was getting up there in age, and my two younger siblings were still stuck in school So we become a bit overwhelmed over there."

"Mm-hmm, I can imagine." Haru family's ryokan in Yoshino was pretty sizable, Chie remembered. "Ever thought about hiring some extra hands?"

"Most young folks have bailed for Osaka or Kyoto. You know how it is."