2. Sit Down, You're Rocking The Boat

A mere four-minute walk from Kichijoji Station led them to the East entrance of Inokashira Park, where they were greeted by a scene straight out of a postcard

Despite catching glimpses of Inokashira Park on TV and the internet, seeing it in person left Haru awestruck. While he had seen his fair share of cherry blossoms, the sight of Inokashira Lake nestled in the heart of the park added an extra layer of beauty. In the highland region of Yoshino, lakes and oceans were rare sights, making this view even more special. Fujiwara, too, seemed to be captivated by the scenery.

Haru began searching for picnic spot, only to discover that all the prime locations were already claimed. If they had hopped on the train earlier, they would had gotten one.

"Look, there's a boat rental." Fujiwara grinned with excitement. "Fancy a boat ride?"

Before Haru could say anything, the neighbor dashed toward the long bridge spanning the lake, leading them to the boat rental stall. A signboard in front of the ticket counter detailed the rental fees, and Fujiwara read them aloud.

"The swan boat is seven hundred yen for thirty minutes. The pedal boat is six hundred, and the rowboat is seven hundred yen for an hour. Which one do you think we should pick?"

As they contemplated their options, a murmur from behind caught Haru's attention. "We shouldn't take the swan boat," said a girl cautiously.

"But the boat is so cute," her partner complained in a Kansai accent, likely another Southerner like Haru. "I thought you were into cute stuff..."

"Legend says that if we get on the swan boat, our relationship won't last long. Did you see a red temple near the Tokugawa Iemitsu statue that we passed by earlier?"

"What about that?"

"It was the temple of Benten. The goddess despises happy couples. Every couple that gets on a swan boat on this lake will break up."

The warning sent the couple away immediately.

Fujiwara nudged Haru. "Are you okay?"

"Did you hear what the girl behind us said before?"

"Yeah. Benten's fiery jealousy towards happy couples. I've heard that story before." Fujiwara smirked. "But why should we be worried? We are not dating."

...