12. A Surprise Visit

Chie carefully observed the cream-colored house across from the gray one. The window of the cream house aligned perfectly with the window of the gray one. As she moved closer, she noticed a nameplate on the mailbox that read: Nishii. This was the house she was looking for.

She took a few deep breaths and adjusting her hat to avoid drawing attention, before ringing the doorbell. As she waited, she silently prayed that Fujiwara-san, whom she believed was inside the grey house at this moment, wouldn't spot her.

After a brief pause, the front door was opened by a woman in her mid-forties. She was casually dressed in a thick cotton blouse, and Chie quickly recognized her.

Auntie from Tokyo.

"Good morning," Chie greeted warmly, inclining her head. "Does Nakano Haruki reside at this address?"

The woman responded with a friendly smile. "Yes, he does."

"I'm Maruyama, his friend from campus."

"Wow, Maruyama-san, right?" The woman's smile widened as she approached her. "It's been a while. Do you still remember me?"

"Of course, Nishii-san. You look well."

"Ah, not really. I am getting old. You look even more beautiful," Nishii-san nodded, visibly pleased. "Haru mentioned that you spent the last two years in Osaka with your family."

"Yes, indeed. I live in a student dormitory near campus now."

"What a small world!" Nishii-san commented casually, gesturing for Chie to enter. "Please, come in. I've been anticipating Maruyama-san's visit since Haru told me you two are classmates in the uni."

"My apologies for any inconvenience."

"No need to apologize. You're right on time, I've just prepared some dango."

Chie offered another polite bow before stepping inside. Nishii-san gave her a pair of guest slippers and escorted her to the living room. Chie brought along some taiyaki *(they were on sale, so she purchased six pieces). Nishii-san expressed her gratitude and briefly retreated to the corridor, before returning with tea and three skewers of dango.

"Please don't trouble yourself, Nishii-san."

"It's not a bother at all. Haru is out shopping, but he'll back shortly. Please, enjoy while you wait." She also took a seat across from Chie. "Does Haru know that you're coming?"

"Oh, actually, today we had plans to go on a trip to Odaiba. We promised to catch up at the station, but I thought maybe I could also stop by here."

"Wow, that sounds really exciting. Haru hasn't mentioned it to me yet."

"Would you like to join us?"

The woman burst into laughter. "Ah, you're being silly," she said, waving her hand. "No, I'll rest at home and take a hot bath later. Young people like you should enjoy life. Midori often tells me that you two hung out a lot back in Yoshino."