18. Mimi wo sumasu*

*Mimi wo sumasu - Japanese proverb that means: listen carefully

Haru was grateful for Nishii-san's unwavering support. It was her who had nursed Yuki back to health after his hospital stay. Apart from a broken nose, bruises on the temples and stomach, and a few cuts on his arms, Yuki had no other serious injuries. Nishii-san handled it all with expert care, and Haru couldn't thank her enough.

It had been a week since the chaos in Shinjuku, and Haru couldn't shake off the change it brought to his perception of Tokyo. The bustling metropolis, once a city of dreams, now held a shadow of the dark side within its crowds. Tokyo was filled with friendly faces, like any other place in Japan, but the thugs who had attacked Yuki were a stark reminder of the darker underbelly.

On his routine call to Yoshino, Midori always asked about the incident. She sounded worried and advised Haru to be more cautious. She was also worried about Yuki. Haru reassured her, mentioning how Nishii-san had taken charge of the situation. Chie, ever the curious friend, had to pry the details out of Haru when she noticed Yuki's absence at the cafe. She was genuinely concerned too, so Haru told her about the incident.

Since the assault, Haru found himself navigating the campus alone. The once-shared morning walks with Yuki were now solitary, leaving him feeling rather lonesome. Their usual evening routine also disrupted, lacking the usual glimpses through the windows as Yuki spent most of his time to rest.

That day, after coming home, Haru decided to stop by the neigbor to deliver something. Nishii-san was given a spare key by Suzuki-san, to make sure they were always ready for any unexpected situations. He went in and climbed upstairs. He found Yuki in the kitchen, seemingly absorbed in some activity.

"Hello, Fujiwara-san. What are you doing?"

Yuki looked up with a wide grin. "Nishii-san is on late shift again tonight, so I know you'll drop by. I'm making porridge. Let's eat together!"

"Nishii-san said you should take it easy," Haru replied, following Yuki into the kitchen. "You've got to call me if you need help."

Yuki chuckled. "It's just porridge. No heavy lifting. Just rice, hot water, broth, and minced chicken. Besides, I can't let you and Nishii-san to bring me food anymore. I still owe her for all the meals she's given me."

"She doesn't mind at all."

"I know, but... you get my point. Dinner will be ready in a few minutes."

Haru hesitated, but he was touched Yuki's determination. Resigned, he decided to lend a hand, preparing the dishes and brewing some tea. The delicious aroma of the porridge began to fill the room as Yuki, carrying the steaming pot, set it on the low round table – their customary spot for  dinners – and poured a serving for Haru.

"I haven't had the chance to properly thank you for having my back in the alley that night," Yuki bowed sincerely. "I appreciate it. If you didn't call the police, those thugs might've killed me."