Four

The portal opened just big enough for Sam to drive the jet right through and onto the platform outside the Avenger Facility. Once everyone had come through, I let the magic fade away again. Natasha and Wanda helped Vision inside with Sam trailing behind them.

Steve's gaze fixated on me, and I cocked an eyebrow at him. I still couldn't believe he was here.

"What?"

"That's going to take some getting used to," he admitted, the corners of his mouth twitching. I shrugged and followed after the others.

"I'd explain everything- but we don't have the time," I sighed. He kept pace with me and pursed his lips in consideration. He opened his mouth, hesitating to say what he wanted.

"I'm sorry about Tony."

"He'll be fine," I said, sounding like I was trying to convince myself more than him, "They'll all be fine."

Unfortunately, we ended up interrupting Rhodey's ongoing call with the secretary. They stopped mid-conversation and turned at our arrival. Rhodey glanced back at where I had been before and gave me a strange look. Bruce hadn't told him I left. Secretary Ross scowled at our presence.

"Mr. Secretary," Steve greeted, stepping forward.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that."

"You could use some of that right now," Natasha retorted.

"The world's on fire. And you think- all is forgiven?" he scoffed, his hologram self growing closer.

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission," Steve informed him coolly, "Earth just lost her best defender. So, we're here to fight- And if you wanna stand in our way... we'll fight you, too."

He wasn't impressed by his speech. He turned to Rhodey and simply said, "Arrest them."

"All over it," he nodded, swiping his hand to close the video call, "That's a court-martial. It's great to see you, Cap."

They clasped hands and Natasha came forward to embrace him.

"Well. You guys really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years."

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star," Sam smirked from the top of the stairs.

Bruce appeared in the doorway and smiled, "Uh, I think you look great." Everyone whipped around at the voice. "Uh... yeah. I'm back."

"Hi, Bruce," Natasha greeted softly, her mouth stretching into a smile at the sight of him.

"Nat."

"This is awkward," Sam muttered and I elbowed him. Bruce turned his attention to me, narrowing his eyes.

"You- You think disappearing like that was a good idea? What if they hadn't showed up?" he demanded, gesturing to the other Avengers. I hopped down the steps and approached him, crossing my arms.

"I wasn't going to sit here while they attacked another city," I rebutted.

"We couldn't keep them from taking the time stone. What made you think you should go off alone? We already lost three fighters, we can't afford to lose you, too. Not with Thanos coming."

"Okay, mother goose. I get your point," I snapped. He opened his mouth to nag me further.

"Break it up you two," Rhodey intervened, motioning for us all to follow him. I knew Bruce meant well, but I didn't need a lecture.

Bruce retold his story to the others as we settled in the common area. Everyone's faces grew dim as they realized what we were up against.

"So, we gotta assume they're coming back, right?" Rhodey sighed, gazing at the video footage of the aliens in Edinburgh.

"And they can clearly find us," Wanda observed.

"We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?" Bruce wondered, glancing around for an answer.

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families; they're on house arrest," Natasha explained. A look of confusion passed over his face.

"Who's Scott?"

"Ant-Man," I answered, leaning against the doorframe. Steve kept close, his face grave as we considered our options. Sam was quiet as he listened.

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man? Okay, look... Thanos has the biggest army in the universe. And he is not gonna stop until he- he gets... Vision's stone."

"Well, then we have to protect it," Natasha determined as if it were so easy.

"No, we have to destroy it," Vision disagreed, to everyone's surprise, "I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head, about its nature. But also, its composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, something, very similar to its own signature, perhaps... its molecular integrity could fail."

He slowly came to a halt in front of Wanda, a sadness in his eyes as he gazed into her eyes.

"And you, with it. We're not having this conversation," she replied shortly.

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it."

"That's too high a price."

Vision placed his hands gently on either side of her face and whispered, "Only you have the power to pay it."

Wanda strode away angrily, clearly distressed at the choice he was giving her. My heart sank at their exchange. It wouldn't be fair to ask this of Wanda. To force her to kill the person she loved.

"Thanos threatens half the Universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him," Vision concluded, glancing around.

"But it should," Steve argued, meeting his eyes, "We don't trade lives, Vision."

"Captain, seventy years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people?" he took a few steps closer, "Tell me, why is this any different?"

Steve took a deep breath, but Bruce spoke up before he could say another word, "Because you might have a choice. Your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays. Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, me, the Stone. All of them mixed together. All of them learning from one another."

"You're saying Vision isn't just the stone?" Wanda clarified, coming back over to the group.

"I'm saying that if we take out the stone, there's still a whole lot of Vision left. Perhaps the best parts."

"Can we do that?" I wondered. Tony might have been able to think of something, but he wasn't here.

"Not me. Not here."

"You better find someone and somewhere fast. Ross isn't exactly just gonna let you guys have your old rooms back," Rhodey shook his head.

"I know somewhere," Steve announced. All eyes darted to him, but he didn't clarify. "Get the jet ready, Sam. Grab anything you guys need."

The others trickled from the room, but Steve stayed put. He kept silent, but I knew he wanted to say something.

"Where are we going?"

He finally looked up at me and replied, "Wakanda."

"Why do you look like that's the last place you want to be going?"

"I just want you to be prepared. Bucky is still there. T'Challa has really helped him these last few years. I don't want to blind side-"

I rested a hand on his forearm reassuringly, "Steve, I forgave him the moment I decided to spare his life. I have no ill will towards him. He saved my life a long time ago. He isn't the Winter Soldier anymore; what he did all those years wasn't the real him. I can tell the difference."

He exhaled a shaky breath and visibly relaxed at my words. We made our way down to the jet to load up with everyone else. As I climbed the ramp, I took a final look at our old home, wondering if I'd get to see it again once all was said and done.