Seven

We were allowed to change into our civilian clothes during a well needed pit stop. I was more than happy to finally strip out of my suit. That had been the most exciting thing to happen so far. The ride was painfully silent until Sam eventually spoke.

"So, you like cats?"

"Sam," Steve warned, as I held back a laugh.

"What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat and you don't wanna know more?"

Steve completely ignored him and peered back at T'Challa, "Your suit... It's Vibranium?"

"The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you... as both warrior and king... how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"

Steve's face turned to stone, and he kept quiet. I opened my mouth to say something but decided better of it. There would be no reasoning with this man. We began the descent to an underground garage several minutes later. Thank God. It had been a long ride to Berlin.

The cars stopped and the door slid open, allowing us to finally exit our cramped mobile jail. We all climbed out as officers started to cart Bucky away to only God knows where. Sharon was standing across the room with a serious looking, grey haired man.

"What's gonna happen to him?" I asked curiously as we approached, glancing over my shoulder one last time before Bucky disappeared.

"Same thing that ought to happen to you. Psychological evaluation and extradition," the man replied without a beat. I eyed him distastefully.

"This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander," Sharon introduced.

"What about a lawyer?" Steve asked flatly.

"Lawyer. That's funny. See their weapons are placed in lockup. Oh, we'll write you a receipt," Ross assured the two next to me. His wary gaze shifted to me, and I stiffened, my mind automatically wandering to the cuffs Hydra had used before. If anyone tried something like that now, I'd go ballistic. Apparently, he trusted me enough to not do something dumb, because he said nothing.

"I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that," Sam warned grumpily. He was ignored. We followed Ross and Sharon into the actual building, keeping a brisk pace.

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. Now, do me a favor, stay in it?"

"I don't intend on going anywhere," T'Challa replied ominously to Ross. Natasha sauntered up to us, a steely glint in her eye.

"For the record, this is what making things worse looks like," she clarified. My lips flattened into a thin line, and I stared straight ahead.

"He's alive," was all Steve cared to say in response. We approached a set of doors that entered into a large surveillance room. There were monitors everywhere and in the center was a small meeting room encased by glass walls. I could hear a familiar voice coming from inside. I groaned loudly, knowing I was gonna get the biggest lecture of my life.

"Try not to break anything while we fix this," Natasha instructed as she walked away. We entered the room and Tony came into view, phone pressed up to his ear.

"Consequences? You bet there'll be consequences. Obviously, you can quote me on that 'cause I just said it. Anything else? Thank you, sir," Tony hung up, staring at the three of us.

"Consequences?" Steve repeated.

"Secretary Ross wants you all prosecuted. Had to give him something," he shrugged.

"I'm not getting that shield back, am I?" Steve chuckled knowingly. I shook my head at that. Like they'd be so easily forgiving.

"Technically, it's the government's property. Wings, too," Natasha added over shoulder as she walked around the glass wall.

"That's cold," Sam replied in amusement.

"Warmer than jail," Tony reminded him, "Oh, Melanie!"

I threw my head back like a small child and tossed the two guys dirty looks as they snickered. Knowing what he wanted, I followed Tony through the room and into a small hallway leading out to the right of the building.

"The only question I have is why-" he demanded, spinning to face me as soon as Natasha was out of ear shot, "Why didn't you sign if you were gonna turn around and do something idiotic?"

I sighed, weighing my words carefully because I didn't want him to go completely off. "He'd be dead. That's not right and you know it. You know why I won't sign the accords. The government won't dictate my every move."

"Well, you won't have a choice if you end up in prison now, will you? Then there's no freedom, no choices, zip. You can't tell Secretary Ross you're retiring and then immediately go back on your word without consequences."

"It was for Steve. I'm not some vigilante out looking for a fix," I snapped, "And I honestly don't care what Secretary Ross thinks and he can shove it where the sun don't shine for all I care."

Tony dragged his hands along the sides of his face in exasperation. "If you're really not willing to sign... then you have to step back. I don't want to see you behind bars, Lanie."

I stared almost guiltily at Tony, so many thoughts racing through my head. I knew he just wanted to protect me from everything he could. His overbearing attitude came from a good place and deep down I really did appreciate it. But at the same time, I hate it. He shouldn't have ever had to take on the parental figure in my life.

"I know; I'll behave," I promised, as we hugged tightly. We were done. Bucky was alive. There would be no need to dip my hand back in the cookie jar. He glanced over my shoulder and smiled. Major blowout averted, I relaxed slightly.

"How likely do you think it would be that Cap will change his mind?"

"I highly doubt he'll sign either," I snorted and shook my head in amusement. Tony shrugged his shoulders and took that as a challenge. Done with me, he strode over to where Steve sat alone in the meeting room. I had no desire to hear how that conversation would go.