FamILY

"Finally," Janus huffed, however his expression was actually content for once, "I thought they'd never leave."

He looked over to Virgil who had done the deed. And without even being asked. Things really were getting back to normal.

"Now that you've come to your senses we can get back to how things were," he said careful to keep his voice neutral. Better for Virgil to believe little had changed. From what he could infer there was some trouble remembering on his part.

"Right Virge?" he said seeing his attention was still unfocused.

It made sense, considering how bright his heart had become. That had been new and a little unnerving if he admitted it. 

But the deed had been done and couldn't be undone. Not by them or even himself if he wanted to.

"Virgil?" he wondered seeing that he hadn't really responded. He just stood, staring at the spot where his former friends had been. "Feeling okay?"

Had he gone too far? Great, he did not want to have to deal with a life sized wind up toy. And no way could Remus know the kind of control he could have over Thomas' anxiety. Much too chaotic.

"Empty," he replied and he sounded it. Just an observation, without even the volume of someone who cared. Just a vaguely curious afterthought. Like a child who rips off his first pair of butterfly wings.

Without another word he strode off, cape fluttering on the floor. That and his heavy strides were the only sound on his person. The only indicators that he was alive at all.

No. No. This wasn't good. He hadn't asked permission. Deceit had no idea what was going through him right now and that wasn't a risk he could take.

"Virgil, Virgil come back here," he demanded employing his own father voice. A much more authoritative, competent father than a certain canine clod.

Came from raising two troubled children on his lonesome. And never had he gone ignored except that's exactly what Virgil was doing.

He had half a mind to go snake, then see how impetuous the anxious side felt then. However he didn't have great control in that form and such a sudden, strong stimulus could fill in some unfavorable pieces.

"You can't do anything without me," he called out to his still retreating back.

'If I don't keep an eye on you, you'll just flutter back with those morons to snare you.'

His face contorted into an ugly, hateful grimace. That wouldn't happen. Not again.

Never again.