prologue

▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪

    The couple was sitting rather close together on presentable cushions in the common area. Her blue eyes stared at them as it was the first and only time she saw them either this close or this anxious-looking. Her childlike brain could barely comprehend what was going on and why her parents were acting so strange. Well, stranger than usual. The only thing she was constantly aware of was that they weren't alone in the room, her younger sister was carefully watching the whole thing, through the crack of the door, listening to everything that has been said. Nataliya could feel it, her bond was so strong she just knew Genya was close and still there with her though not in the same room.

    Someone cleared their throat in the room making Nataliya pay her attention again. As her eyes flickered back to in front of her she closely examined the three people that were standing not far off where she was sitting in an armchair. One in red, one in blue and one in purple. Grisha Examiners. That much Nataliya knew as briefly explained by her parents in a rush when they were preparing the place to host the Examiners.

    There was no time for questions and complaints when Genya was ushered out of the room and Nataliya had to sit in the chair and wait silently for them to come. What they are going to do was still unknown to her or what she's supposed to do. She didn't know if she was supposed to be as anxious as she felt her parents are. What if she doesn't know what they want her to do? Or is it the other way around and they are scared that she will know what to do. The man in the blue was speaking but it didn't reach Nataliya's ears. It was all muffled sounds as she stared blankly forward trying with all her might to show them she was nowhere near interested in this situation.

    She wanted to bolt out of the chair and out the door to Genya, where they would then run out of the house to play outside. Genya's laugh rung in her head and her smile appeared in front of her eyes. She truly loved her sister and she had no idea what she would do without her, how alone she would be. That's when something dropped in her stomach, an uneasy feeling. The feeling that was subconsciously telling her there would be major consequences to whatever is going to happen in the next few moments and what she dreaded the most was that it might mean potentially losing Genya. The two of them were always alone, their parents never really present and they could always rely on each other. Nataliya was still so young that her mind couldn't even fathom what it would be like truly alone.

    When her mind slowly circled back to the room she noticed it was completely silent. Her eyes widened a bit as she looked at the Examiners who were all closely watching her back with looks of expectation on their faces.

    ''Nataliya?'' Her father's voice rang through the room.

    Nataliya turned her head to her father, fear in her eyes as her breathing quickened. She presumed they asked her a question and she totally missed out on it. ''I – I...'' Nataliya stuttered as she looked back at the three Grisha in front of her.