nine

▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

Footsteps echoed through the corridors as Nataliya's eyes spotted the white double door in the distance. She clenched and unclenched her hands by her side as she walked, her red kefta flowing behind her as she kept it unbuttoned. She was still angry. Angry at her sister, angry at the general and while all of it was raging inside her, her features were strangely calm. Kirigan using the force on her wasn't the first time it happened, Saints, she is surprised it doesn't happen more often looking at how many times she opposes his orders and the fact she uses her power on him in anger as well.

While the feeling and the afterthought made her hate him, she was just glad she didn't lose her position and she gets to keep moving close to him. The biggest setback would be if he stopped all connection between them, whether it be the fights or anything else. She stopped right in front of the door and debated if knocking would be appropriate or should she just enter. She groaned internally for overthinking about the little things.

Then she used their knock. Two times, a pause and then another time.

There was no response but she didn't want to wait anymore. She pushed on the door handle and opened the door to step in. Darkling was facing away from her, his hands on the map in front of him studying it closely. His head only turned her way once she closed the door behind herself. His eyebrows flew up on his forehead and he straightened himself up.

''Nataliya?'' Surprise was held in his voice.

Nataliya looked at him weirdly and guessed he didn't hear her knock or step in at first.

''Shouldn't you be in combat training?'' He asked.

Nataliya didn't know if she should be confused or surprised. How does he know? Truthfully she should be but she didn't feel like doing that in the morning. Botkin will probably have her head for it but Nataliya was tired of the daily routine of training and preparing. She wanted to go out of Little Palace, to go on a mission preferably to West Ravka for Nina but that was prevented from her. Yet she couldn't leave without Darkling's permission first. That's why she was here.

''I –'' Nataliya couldn't even get one word out when the door behind her opened with sudden force.

Nataliya turned around, clear surprise on her face as her eyes landed on a heavy breathing Zoya. Anger was just flowing out of her and her eyebrows were heavily knitted with it. Nataliya inspected her more and noticed a deep red spot becoming more and more noticeable on her cheek. The Darkling looked bothered and he looked like he had no patience for whatever is going to happen next.

"Who does she think she is!? She acts like she's the saviour and the Saint coming here and taking control of everything, she doesn't even know how to fight, she isn't Grisha, she wasn't trained, she has no place here -" Zoya rambled in anger.