twenty-one

▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪

    Nataliya stepped inside and checked every corner just to make sure he was really gone but she doubted that such a tall guy as Mal could hide inside the small office. She let out a frustrated sigh and ran a hand through her red hair forgetting she had it neatly tucked into a braided bun. Since now she ruined the hairstyle she unravelled it whole and let the waves of her hair fall past her shoulders. Kirigan is going to kill her for letting Mal out of her sight but she could care less about his reaction as she started to feel the disappointment filling her. She had one simple assignment and she failed it. That does not look good for her future and those were the times that she doubted she can make it as a leader of a whole entire army.

    She tried to push her thoughts to the back of her mind so she could focus on fixing the problem she just created. She stared into the abyss wondering why Mal even left and where would he go. He looked obedient enough and as a soldier, Nataliya would expect him to stick to the deal Kirigan and he made. There was a chance that Mal went looking for Alina himself but by the look of how uncomfortable he was being in the Little Palace, Nataliya doubted he would venture to the middle of the party to search for his friend. Another sigh escaped her as she desperately grasped for the thread of her thoughts as everything seemed to go haywire.

    Then it struck her out of nowhere. ''Baghra.'' She muttered and as soon as the old woman's name left her lips she ran out of the office she was standing in.

    The last time Nataliya talked to Baghra must have been well over a week ago and after that neither she had the wish to go back into her hut nor did Baghra contact her for a conversation. The reason for the lack of contact was that their last encounter was weird and with very much tension. Upon Baghra constantly testing Nataliya's temper with different provocative questions she continued to give off the feeling that she didn't trust Nataliya. And she would have been right, Nataliya didn't totally agree with everything Baghra suggested and she was sure that the old woman hid many things in front of her.

    To pay back, Nataliya stopped informing her everything Darkling was planning. The whole situation was very confusing and full of deception while Nataliya was trying to pull out the best of both. Best of Baghra's side if the woman's predictions about the near future and the failure of it all were true and the best of Kirigan's side. Nataliya was still coming to terms with what exactly could she benefit if she continues to stick by his side other than eventually overthrowing him and replacing his position.

    She tried to shut down her rapid heartbeat at the thought of it all and the meaning why it sped up was never repeated in her head. The truth is what she didn't need to hear at that moment. She remembered something about the Stag and how Baghra disliked the whole idea of Kirigan searching for it. She gave off a mixture of not believing it was true and fear of him actually finding it. It made sense to Nataliya that if it had anything to do with the Stag and with Mal, Baghra had one of her followers on it.