Chapter 16: Sophie

Sophie tried everything. She transmitted memories of Silveny, Keefe with his friends, Keefe's accomplishments that she was there for.

Nothing worked.

Keefe's mind still kept shattering and breaking.

Images racing down the hole.

Sophie tried harder.

Keefe!

We need you!

Come back!

No reaction.

Wait.

Keefe, it's Sophie!

Will you come back for me?

It was a silly thought. Keefe didn't care that much...

Something shifted.

Light at the end of the tunnel.

So Sophie sent images of her.

Clinging to Keefe's hand, Talking to him, working together, crying against each other, joking in detention.

And so many others.

With each memory, Keefe's mind grew brighter.

But it wasn't enough.

Something was missing.

But Sophie had no idea what it was.

Suddenly, someone pulled her back from the depths of Keefe's mind. Surrounding her were all of her friends with Grady and Edaline hugging her tightly from both sides.

"Is he okay? What happened?!" They all shouted pressing in from all sides.

Sophie couldn't think. Just knew that she needed Keefe to come back. She pushed herself away from her parents and ran back up to her room, collapsing on the bed.

It was useless. Nothing would work.

No one would...

Wait.

Maybe Ro knew something about Keefe that would help him!

Sophie needed to go to the Shores of Solace.

Fast.

She ran downstairs under the leap master heading straight to the Shores of Solace. Once she got there, Sophie ran as fast as she could to Keefe's room, searching for Ro.

"Ro? Ro!" She yelled desperately.

"Yes, Blondie?" Ro was sitting in the corner looking through some notebooks.

Wait, were those Keefe's?

Sophie shook the thought away.

"Ro, Keefe is broken and I can't find a way to bring him back and he won't respond and I have no idea what to do!" She cried out, suddenly feeling the realization of how desperate the situation was.

Ro stumbled back, surprised, "Wait, so he's like Alden was when you did your special moonlark, I'm-so-powerful trick to save him?"

Sophie nodded, exasperated.

"That... complicates things. What did you try?"

"Well, first I tried sending images of happy things in his life but that didn't work so I transmitted that I needed him and he sort of responded. I then sent memories of me with him and it got so close to working but there was something that needed to be said. Something that would fill in the spot."

Ro blew out a breath and looked down at the notebook again.

It was gold.

"I know what you need to say to him."

"WHAT? Tell me!" Sophie said frantically.

"I can't just say it or you won't understand Blondie. How about I just show you..." Ro held out the notebook to Sophie.

"But this book is his secret. I can't just look at them!" Sophie protested

"Do you want to heal him?"

"I... yes." Sophie took the notebook, went to the first page, and was... speechless.

Every page was filled with drawings of... her.

Sophie laughing, about to throw a cookie at Keefe.

Sophie where her eyebrows were so close together there was a tiny crease on her forehead.

Sophie blushing as Keefe made a joke about her.

Every page.

And she was on every one.

As Sophie quietly closed the book, Ro sighed.

"Do you see what I mean now?"

"I-I don't understand."

Ro murmured something about the Foster Oblivion.

"Ok, how about you do your weird elfy trick and search your memories of moments with you and Keefe. Find the cause of why he broke like Alden."

Sophie didn't reply, instead, she went into her mind and went through all of her memories with Keefe. At first, she was confused. Keefe was her friend, but every time she called him that, Keefe would look down-almost in a dejected way. Finally, Sophie understood.

She knew what she needed to say, so she reached for her home crystal and disappeared into the glittery light...

...

Keefe.

Keefe, it's Sophie.

I'm here.

Keefe's mind was still full of Sophie's transmissions though some of them were leaking out.

Sophie took a deep breath and pushed her consciousness deeper.

She knew what she had to say.

But paused.

And realized that whatever happened after, she would know that she meant the words. And would not ever take them back.

Keefe?

I love you.

Silence.

Then... an explosion of light and color.

And...

Keefe's voice filled her mind

I love you too Sophie.