Chapter 11: Sophie

Fitz?

Fittzzz!

I know you're ignoring me!

Sophie stood outside the walls of Everglen with her hands on her hips. The whole afternoon Fitz had ignored ALL of her hails and telepathic calls. She had even checked with Biana to make sure that he was okay but all Biana said was that Fitz was being very "angsty."

And Sophie was annoyed. How would she figure out what was bothering Fitz if he just ignored her?

Even though Sophie was dealing with her stupid social problems, the past hours were mostly filled with thinking about what Kenric meant in his message.

After Oralie had "dropped the bomb" on Sophie, Sophie had hurriedly left, wanting to think about everything she had heard.

Not really listening to Oralie's advice.

After at least an hour of banging her head against the wall, Sophie had tried to hail Fitz to see if she could at least fix something there.

But Fitz was being very uncooperative.

Sophie went back to calling his name but it didn't work so she resorted to her last option.

Involving poor Biana.

Just as she was about to pull out her imparter the door opened and there stood... Alden?

Alden just smiled and beckoned her into the house. "Come in Sophie, I couldn't just leave you out there hanging. Fitz is kind of annoyed with everyone right now but if you follow me to his room I bet you can sort him out."

"Okay, that's great..."

The dread in Sophie's voice might have shown a little because Alden winked and closed the door.

Sophie followed him inside and up the huge winding staircase, past the crystal chandelier that Fitz got tangled up in. Just as she knocked on the door she realized that she had never been in Fitz's room.

Well, this would be interesting.

"Who is it?"

"Sophie."

"Oh. So now you're coming to my house to bother me. There's a reason I didn't answer your hails." Sophie decided to take that as an invitation to come in and was... surprised.

Every wall was covered in either bramble posters, awards, pictures, and one wall was covered in what looked like... memories?

"What are those?" She asked, pointing to the individual photos.

"Oh. Those are some of the important memories that I transmitted. They are a little blotchy because I have no photographic memory but they are the best thing that I have to remember important parts of my life."

"Wow. That's... cool."

Looking around the room reminded Sophie of how much she didn't know about Fitz. Sure, they did trust exercises together but she never really knew Fitz had all these... things. It mostly made her feel uncomfortable.

"So what was so important that you needed to barge into my room?" Fitz said, interrupting Sophie's thoughts.

"First of all, I didn't barge in. And second, you're the one who ignored me for three days! That's not exactly nice!"

Fitz said nothing.

"I just wanted to check on how you were doing and why you looked so... jealous when you read Keefe's letter!" The words came out in one long breath.

Sophie didn't really feel like sharing what she had heard with Oralie while Fitz was acting so mean.

Fitz sighed.

"Well if you really want to know, fine. Obviously, Keefe cares a LOT about you! Of course, he does. And you know what? I don't care about it all! If you want Keefe, yes, it's your choice. Whatever."

Sophie just stared.

"Are you serious right now?" She finally said after a minute, "Keefe is just a friend, you need to stop assuming all this about... us."

Fitz stood up and pointed to a memory on the wall.

It was when Sophie had brought cookies for Keefe and in the photo, Sophie and Keefe were leaning on each other.

"Yeah, and I can tell how much you believe that, Lady Sophie. Just leave. Now."

Sophie tore her eyes away from the memory and stood up, stung. "You know what? I think I will." She walked slowly out of the room, but when she was away from Fitz's sight she ran the rest of the way. Why was Fitz acting the way he was?

Just as Sophie almost got out of Everglen a soft voice stopped her, "Sophie?"

It was Biana.

Sophie turned around, tears in her eyes.

"What is it," she cried.

"I just want you to know that Fitz is being a brat to everyone now. Don't take it personally."

"Well, I will because he's acting bratty because of me! Whenever Fitz gets angry, he always takes it out on me and I'm sick of it!"

"No. He's actually angry at Keefe. And I understand why you're mad at him. That makes a lot of sense. But... I know you can get very oblivious when it comes to this kind of stuff, so just let me handle it."

"Ok," Sophie whispered.

...

Sophie clung tightly to Iggy like he was the only thing stopping her from falling.

Or rolling over.

Preferably on the bed, not on the floor.

After leaving Everglen she had come home to just sit on her bed and pout.

Because she was in shock.

Fitz hated her, Biana seemed like she was annoyed with her, and... Sophie hadn't checked in with Team Valient yet or addressed any of her other duties.

Shame brightened her cheeks, turning them warm.

She shouldn't have been worrying about stupid boy problems when she had so many other responsibilities!

Sophie needed to catch up.

Fast.

So she decided to get ready for the day and immediately start addressing her problems.

First of all, checking in with Team Valiant. Because it was time to act like the Moonlark.

...

Ten minutes later Sophie sat across from the rest of Team Valiant, pretending to ignore the fact that Biana hadn't shown up. She would deal with that later. Now was the time for delegation and strategizing.

"Okay everyone," Sophie started, hoping her voice hadn't sounded too squeaky. "I owe you all a big apology. I should have been acting more like a leader these past days, but I haven't."

Interestingly enough, Wylie was the one who spoke up, "It's okay Sophie. Thanks for the apology. I wanted to tell you though that I have some news for you."

Sophie cleared her throat. "What is it?"

"So I was thinking about when you told us that the Neverseen were trying to get all the other intelligent species into disarray. After studying everything we know, I realized that given all the evidence we have, the Neverseen will likely move against the goblins now. Especially because everyone else has many problems of their own, this would be the perfect time to make a move against the bodyguards."

Sophie tugged out an eyelash, "so you're saying that they will target the goblins next?"

"Yes, exactly. We need to arrange a meeting with Queen Hylda."