Chapter 4: Keefe

"Where are we going again?" Keefe asked quietly for what seemed the hundredth time. He said it very softly, as he didn't want to accidentally hurt Jolie with his words. Earlier, Keefe had not really cared about what happened to her but now he needed her.

"I already said that I would explain when we got there. Oh, and Keefe, you don't need to speak like that anymore. You won't accidentally do anything to me."

"Why is that? And how do you know I've not really been talking?" Keefe asked hesitantly.

"Well for your first question, you'll see soon. And for the second, let's just say I have my ways," Jolie said mysteriously.

Jolie was being very frustrating. Especially because to understand what she was talking about, Keefe would have to follow her all the way to wherever they were going. She did say that she brought an obscurer with her but Keefe wasn't completely reassured. Mostly because they were walking right next to humans in the open. Looking completely conspicuous in their out-of-place clothing.

Of course Keefe didn't worry about that earlier, but now that he wasn't running for his life, he felt very awkward.

Mostly because he had just caught a group of girls staring at him with open mouths. One girl had a weird device out that flashed a bright light into his eyes once she hit the button with her finger.

What the heck?!

Foster had said that Elves were naturally gorgeous (Keefe totally had deduced that from her) but Keefe didn't quite believe her (fine, maybe a little) until he noticed all the stares he was receiving.

Keefe smirked and rubbed his hand through his hair which made one of the girls gasp.

He blushed and hurried to catch up with Jolie who was setting a quick pace.

"So wait, I still don't understand though. You were dead... but not dead?" Keefe asked hesitantly.

Jolie huffed and turned around. "Keefe, do I really need to explain everything to you?"

"Well if you tell me I might stop asking you..."

"Fine. I was working as a double agent for the Black Swan and the Neverseen. The Neverseen asked me to do something that I couldn't commit myself to complete and I realized that night after I refused that they would never let me leave alive again. That's why I faked my death with Brant and since then I have been hiding out waiting for the moment to reveal myself. And before you ask, yes, Brant's mind broke after we faked my death because he couldn't handle the grief he caused my parents. But back to the present. As I was saying, it wasn't until a few months ago that I decided to disguise myself and pretend to join the Neverseen as "Glimmer" to have a shot at saving you from your fate. Obviously, I failed."

Keefe was speechless. After a moment he spoke up again. "What is my fate? And how bad could it be to make you come out of hiding?"

"You'll see soon. But I have one more request to make from you before we get going."

"And what is that?"

"You have to agree that you will never tell Sophie what you learned about me today. I know for sure that she will tell my parents and I can not let that happen."

Keefe looked helplessly up at Jolie.

"You can't ask me to do that. You know that I would never keep Sophie or Grady and Edaline in the dark about this. You don't even understand how heartbroken they were because they thought you were dead."

"I do. But my secret is far more important than you realize. Even more important than how they would feel. Please just give me your word Keefe."

"Okay. I won't tell them."

"Good. Let's get going."

...

"So this is your secret hideout? It seems kind of... small." Keefe looked around. Jolie's hideout was almost as tiny as the room he was hiding in before!

That didn't mean it wasn't stunning. The walls were all made of crystal and two fluffy armchairs surrounded a fire pit. In the corner of the room there was a small bed and on it sat a plush unicorn. Keefe cracked a smile.

"When you're living by yourself you don't need a lot of room. But that might change when you come and live with me from now on."

"Wait. Hold up. I'm living with you now? When was that decided?"

"Three weeks ago. Sit down. We need to have a long talk."

Keefe walked over and sat on the side chair.

"Is this about my abilities? You did say that you would help me out..."

"In due time. As of right now don't worry about that, just listen."

Keefe settled back and propped his chin in his hands.

Better to act casual.

"All ready!"

Jolie smiled. "You must be wondering how I know so much about your ability. Let's just say I have friends who know things. Well... Lady Gisela promised herself that she would never experiment on her child. That didn't stop her from giving herself a treatment, as well as your Dad. I think you already probably knew it had something to do with the light of the unmapped stars. Essentially the treatment didn't work on you and the only ability you manifested when you were younger was Empathy. This was not intentional, a mistake and a miscalculation. Lady Gisela realized that she would need something more powerful, a hidden light mixed with the darkest shadows which would create the effect she needed. Sadly, you were too young and she was forced to wait until you were older and able to handle the... transformation. That is what happened to you less than a week ago, and it was meant to give you a new ability. Something our world has never heard or seen before. This may be hard for you to hear but the steps to learning to control one's ability start with understanding the roots of one's ability. So I need you to stay calm. Are you calm Keefe?"

"I... Yes. I'm calm" Keefe muttered after a second.

"I trust you. Okay... you might have noticed that you can control people and make them do what you say. This... control will later change into something else. Something I cannot let happen. This is why I need to help you "master" your ability though it's more like learning to control your own "control." Because... your ability will morph to give you the power to restrict others abilities."