Chapter 1: Fresh Start

Joy got up from her bed. Her long brown straight hair looked gorgeous, as though she had been brushing it all night long without interruption. But she hadn't. Instead, she had slept and snored terribly like another simply human being upon this earth. How could other people even wonder if she went to the toilet or not sometimes? She was a normal human being, what made her so special?

Well, that was a dumb question. Everything about her was damned special.

"Aren't you getting up, Robbie?" Joy's mirror reflection glanced at Robin behind her, lying on her bed without wanting to get up at all. Robin nodded wearily. "First day of school, isn't it exciting?" She grinned magnificently and jumped to the bathroom. Robin sat on her bed's edge and looked at herself in the mirror. Gosh. Her hairs had fought to death against the pillow and lost the battle, definitely. The sunlight from the window made the hairball glow with light-brown sparks. A brush wouldn't be enough. Not to mention her greasy face. She had inherited her dad's greasy cutis that would save her from wrinkles in middle age but get her acne during teen-age. But still greasy in the morning. Nothing that soap and water couldn't fix, though.

Joy walked out of the toilet wearing jeans and a pink blouse that remarked her slender figure. It was a simple piece of cloth but on her, it'd always look amazing.

"You think this is good?" She asked, staring at herself in the mirror. Robin was still trying to get over the helpless frustration of comparing one another.

"Sure. But aren't we getting uniforms?"

"I was thinking I could change during lunch if it doesn't work."

"Work?"

"To impress people!" Joy rolled her eyes as though that had been the obvious reply. "The visual is the most important part of socializing with people." She quoted as though she had been reading one of those stupid fashion magazines.

"It's school's first day, not the beginning of the World Fashion Week." Robin got up without daring to look at the mirror again, the gigantic shirt she wore to sleep swinging loosely. Joy picked another pair of blouses.

"Anyway, I want to look okay. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?" Joy raised one brow. Whatever the reply was, she wouldn't care, so Robin shrugged and entered the toilet.

As though looking okay was hard for her at all. As though she had no idea what the effect would be if she looked okay for the rest of the world. No wonder, in less than two weeks, Joy would be known and named the captain cheerleader. Then, she'd conquer the fashion of the girls of that school. Then, she'd bewitch the professors and parents. Then, she'd get the most popular boy of school. Then, she'd be prom queen to get every single boy down to her feet.

And then, those boys would notice she has a sister, and they'd start pretending they were her friends (or even more than that) just to be closer of Joy. As it always happened.

Robin took a shower, trying to erase the memories about their earlier school from her head. They had moved with their grandparents to Saint Grace, a place closer of the sea just for grandpa's health and it meant they'd have to go to a new school. It was her first day in high school. She'd walk into the classroom, someone would make a Batman joke about her name, she'd meet a nice girl as loser as she was, they'd be friends, they'd be invisible together, until anyone found out she was related to Joy and boys would start chasing her too for her sake.

Joy was one year ahead, thanks God.

"It'll be different this time." Robin said to herself firmly.

They walked downstairs and their grandparents were having a really boiling discussion. Grandpa was red in the face and it was evident he was the one yelling at his wife. Grandma had her usual blank expression, some sort of poker face that Robin had inherited. The only thing she shared with her grandmother, who was Joy's worshiper. Joy, obviously unaware of the situation, attempted to walk downstairs but Robin stopped her abruptly and made her stay hidden. Robin was too attached to her grandfather and everything that was wrong with him concerned her.