Chapter 6: Luck

Miller and Ken stood up, frozen, beside the car, holding their breaths as they saw and heard how the girl dealt with Lou's gang of kids.

"What, in the name of shit, is that kid trying to do?" Ken poked Miller, lighting a cigarette. Miller shook his head. "Well, she's lucky this time Lou's with the kids. Can you imagine if they were the old—"

"Shh..." Miller was tense. Now they'd have two victims to save and more to deal with—

For some reason, all of the gang had turned their heads to her. She had caught their attention. Did she know them? What were they talking about? Miller could only catch a few words...

"Check that," Ken threw away his cigarette and walked away round the car. Miller frowned, and looked back. The small girl was slowly escaping, but she looked so frightened that it would be very difficult for her not to be noticed. Luckily, Ken managed to drag her away before that. Now the first girl was talking to the gang. She was nothing special, except for the fact she was tall, and well proportioned. There was some sort of rigidness in the way she treated the gang members, not usual in a woman... or a girl, all the same. Lou himself stood up in front of her. For an instant, all noticed the small girl was gone, and Miller was about to pick the gun until he noticed they weren't pissed or hostile anymore. Ken poked his head out of a corner, behind the first girl's back, and he was seen by Lou and the gang. That way they'd be able to deal. Then, Lou kissed the girl and all of them walked to Ken.

It was beginning to rain and the girl, when she seemed to recover sense, walked across the street with a smile plastered in her face, lost in thought. Miller didn't know why, but he blocked her way standing up in front of her. She raised her face surprised but the smile didn't fade.

"Sorry, Miss..." Miller started and found his mind in blank. "Are you alright? I was... watching the whole thing..."

"Yes, yes," She nodded, quite distant.

"They didn't hurt you, did they?"

"You mean, them, right?" She pointed back to the theater. "I'll be fine, don't worry."

"That looked like a pretty dangerous gang, Miss."

"I'm sure they were." She shrugged. "Anyways, thanks for asking, Mr..."

"Miller," He said without thinking.

"I'm Robin, nice to meet you. Oh, seems like rain is coming." Robin frowned to the sky. "I should get going."

"Can I---" Miller saw she was being natural. She definitely had no idea who Lou was. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Oh, no, I'm alright, thanks." She warmly smiled.

"Could I—Could I invite you a drink, Miss Robin?"

The girl raised her eyebrows, surely evaluating that he was a bit older than her.

"A drink? I'm not eighteen yet..."

"Oh, right. I'm sorry. The law's the law, I keep forgetting..."

There was an awkward silence.

"But... I could accept a coffee, instead. I know a good place."

"Eh... sure. Yes. I'll invite you a coffee, then, Miss."

All of a sudden, she had taken the control of the situation, and Miller was being dragged into a nice-looking cafeteria. It was quite fun that she had just worried about alcohol instead of accepting things from a stranger. Quite a peculiar girl.

When they ordered, she casually smiled at him and there he noticed how exhausted and older she seemed to be. A distressed person.

"Thanks for inviting me, Miller." Where did the Mr. go? "I might seem a bit daring for accepting your invitation, but to tell the truth, I'm not ready to go home yet. I'm still a bit excited for what just happened, I feel all this adrenaline and... I might do unusual things. I apologize for that."