Chapter 17

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

-Albert Camus

The whisky burned down his throat. An empty glass cool between his fingers. Ginoza sank deep into the arm chair, letting the muscles in his body relax. He stared at the ceiling, a wry smile on his lips. Before he became an enforcer, he never would have indulged this way. Fear of clouding his hue had kept him from really living. In the end, it hadn't mattered. He'd still fallen from grace. He'd still become an enforcer. A thing he'd once regarded with such distaste.

It was times like these he could understand his father. His one regret was losing so much time with him. He'd only truly appreciated his father's presence in his life at his death. In that moment, the anger and resentment he'd nursed in his heart had become meaningless. In those final moments with Enforcer Masaoka, they ceased to be enforcer and inspector. They became once again father and son. 

While his heart still ached from time to time, his mind was clearer. The heavy thoughts weighing on his mind were gone. It left room for him to think. Unfortunately, his thoughts were not as calm and relaxed as his body. His thoughts centered on Inspector Akane Tsunemori. He worried about her. He always worried about her. She'd looked so innocent and naïve when she'd started as a rookie inspector. He'd initially thought this line of work wasn't right for her. However, she'd surprised him. In fact, she'd surprised them all. 

Despite the faith he had in her skills, Ginoza still worried about her. In some strange way, he felt responsible for her. It was ridiculous as Tsunemori was the kind of woman who could take care of herself. Nevertheless, he felt the need to watch over her. Perhaps, it was because he saw so much of Kogami in her. He'd failed his best friend, but he would not fail her. He would be the loyal hunting dog to keep her safe. 

He had the distinct impression Tsunemori would need protecting. She had many secrets. Some of which he suspected had to do with Sibyl. He had a gut feeling something was wrong. A calm before the storm. There had always been tension between the two inspectors of Division 1. He was chagrinned when he'd realized Inspector Shimotsuki reminded him of himself at her age. Full of self-righteous surety that the world was black and white. It was no wonder she and Tsunemori had butt heads. Tension had marked their relationship from the start.

Lately, it had gotten worse. 

On more than one occasion, Ginoza got the distinct impression Chief Kasei had a hand in the tension between the two inspectors. It wouldn't be the first time . His body tensed at the sudden memory of the day he'd nearly had to execute Kogami. If not for Tsunemori, his best friend would have been dead. For once, he'd been grateful for her protectiveness over Kogami. He'd been shaken and distracted. So much so he hadn't taken the time to analyze the chief's behavior. There had been something extremely odd about her. 

Then there was Makishima's escape. The crash. The extra body. None of it had made any sense. There were so many unanswered questions that returned to haunt him. Something was very clearly wrong. He'd known it in his gut, but didn't dare investigate. Only Kogami had been brave (or stupid) enough to try to pull back the curtain obscuring their sight. 

Ginoza took another sip. 

There were days when he envied him. 

When did we forget how to be human?

Tsunemori's words echoed in his mind. She had an uncanny way of cutting right to the heart of the problem. There was something innately heartless about their justice system. A system that could see someone like his father on par with a murderous psychopath. A system that could even view himself as a danger to society. Ginoza knew himself, perhaps better than before. With or without Sibyl's leash, he would never be the kind of person to enjoy inflicting pain on others. It just wasn't who he was.

And yet, even the people Sibyl approved of possessed a cruel streak. Chief Kasei in particular was no stranger to slipping in the knife and twisting it. He'd ignored those flashes of intuition he'd had when confronted with the chief's sadistic side. Now, there wasn't a reason not to think about it. What more could they do to him? He couldn't afford to ignore his instincts anymore. If for no other reason than to protect Tsunemori. He didn't know what kind of danger lay in wait, but he knew it was coming.

***

It felt strange to be home. Kogami lifted his head to the night sky and breathed deep. The familiar scents filled his nose. Both comforting and unsettling. The last time he'd been on Japanese soil, he'd been a fugitive. Technically, he was still a fugitive. And yet, the thought didn't really concern him. Sibyl seemed so small and petty after seeing the world outside. All those years of suffocating under Sibyl's  thumb, he could finally breathe. Especially now, that he had a few handy gadgets to help him stay under the radar. 

One device, outfitted like a wrist unit, could interfere with cymatic scanners' sensors and obscure him from Sibyl's sight. He registered as little more than an inanimate object. It had a limited range, but it gave him more freedom of movement. All he had to do was avoid street cams. No sense in having his face show up in Karanomori's lab. 

Akane's words at their parting returned to him. Be careful. I can't lose you now that I've found you again. His chest tightened at the memory. The thought of the danger that lay ahead...of what their goal might cost terrified him. They'd parted ways after that. Akane had to establish her routine for Sibyl and Kogami needed to make his way to the Abolition Block. He hated to leave her. He'd gotten addicted to waking up with her in his arms. To feeling her warm body curl around his. Her laughter. Her smiles.

Tucking away those beautiful memories of her in his heart, Kogami focused on the task at hand. He took side streets, avoiding street cams, staying out of sight. After fighting for his life every second of the day, this was mere child's play. The comparative safety of Japan  was a mild culture shock after his years away. His eyes scanned the crowd. A sea of happy faces, oblivious to the noose tightening around them. Sibyl was no different from the dictators who gave people the illusion of peace and freedom.

He knew the moment he'd made it to the Abolition Block. It was just as he remembered. Crumbling and dilapidated. Soggy refuse lined the gutters. Shadowy figures crouched in darkened corners reminded him just how many people Sibyl neglected. A wry smile twisted his lips. Somehow he felt more comfortable here among society's outcasts than anywhere else in the city.

He rounded a corner and caught the familiar sounds of a scuffle. Moving more out of habit than intent, Kogami followed the sounds to their source. Down a narrow alley under the sickly green light of a neon sign, Kogami found a group of three rough looking thugs pushing around a young man and what appeared to be a bundle of clothes with legs. 

Kogami didn't think twice.

He acted.