86. The Dragon Falls Further and Further Away

I frowned at the dismal surroundings of Diagon Alley as I walked towards the robe shop. As I entered, I instantly spotted a flash of white-blond hair. "Draco," I said in surprise. "Mrs. Malfoy."

"Black," Draco spat. They were looking through some robes.

Ignoring him, I turned to Narcissa and said, "I just wanted to say I'm sorry for what happened to Lucius. I can imagine how hard that is for the two of you."

"It's your fault he's there," Draco said irritably.

"Draco," Narcissa scolded. "Thank you, Valerie." I nodded and moved over to the collection of robes. Selecting some dark purple, white, and grey ones, I waited for Madam Malkin as she started on Draco. I sighed as I saw him consciously cover his left forearm.

"I don't know why you had to come," Draco grumbled. "I'm not a child, in case you haven't noticed, Mother. I am perfectly capable of doing my shopping alone."

"Now, dear," Madam Milkin replied. "Your mother's quite right, none of us are supposed to go wandering around on our own anymore, it's nothing to do with being a child-"

"Watch where you're sticking that pin, will you!" Draco shouted. I rolled my eyes. I was continuing to look through the robes when I heard Draco say, "If you're wondering what that smell is, Mother, a Mudblood just walked in."

"Draco!" I snapped, rounding on him. To my surprise, I saw that Harry, Ron, and Hermione had entered.

"I don't think there's any need for language like that," Madam Malkin exclaimed. I sighed, rubbing my eyes tiredly as I saw Harry and Ron raise their wands. "And I don't want wands drawn om my shop either!"

"Yeah, like you'd dare do magic outside of school," Draco sneered. "Who blacked your eye, Granger, I want to give them flowers."

"Okay, that's enough," I ordered, stepping between the two. "Draco, shut up and Ron, Harry, put your wands away, now."

Looking to Narcissa, Madam Malkin said, "Madam, please-"

"Put those away," she ordered coldly. "If you attack my son again, I shall ensure it is the last thing you ever do." My eyebrows rose.

"Narcissa, if you threaten them again, it will be the last thing you do," I retorted, standing before them.

"Really," Harry replied. "Going to get a few Death Eater pals to do us in, are you?"

"Really," Madam Malkin shrieked, "You shouldn't accuse- dangerous thing to say! Wands away, please!"

Smiling pleasantly, Narcissa said, "I see that being Dumbledore's favourite has given you a false sense of security, Harry Potter. But Dumbledore won't always be there to protect you." I frowned, her words hitting me.

"Wow, look at that," Harry said, mockingly looking around the shop. "He's not here now! So why not have a go? They might be able to find you a double cell on Azkaban with your loser of a husband." Draco lunged towards him, but I got in the way and held him in place.

"Draco, calm down," I ordered quietly. Angrily, he shoved away from me, pushing me to the floor. Hermione and Harry helped me up as the Malfoys gave some bs reason for leaving. I sighed, watching them go. Madam Malkin was rather distracted the entire time she was fitting my robes. "Thank you," I said once she'd finished. "Have a good day, you lot. I'll see you all soon."

Once I'd left, I couldn't help but remember what Narcissa had said. Once I'd gotten to Hogwarts, I went to Dumbledore's office. "What happened to your hand?" I exclaimed, noting the blackened and decaying look it had. I hadn't noticed it before.

"Nothing to worry about," he replied, covering it with his robes. "What seems to be the matter?"

"I was in Diagon Alley and happed to be witness to an encounter between Harry, Ron, and Hermione and Draco and Narcissa," I said. "There was something strange that Narcissa said. She said that you wouldn't always be there to protect Harry." His expression shifted ever so slightly, but not enough for me to be able to read it.

"I'd assume all she meant is that I'm not exactly young," he replied. "I wouldn't worry about it, Valerie."

"Very well then," I replied. "Sorry to bother you, Albus."

In the days leading up to the opening night of school, I carefully prepared my lesson plans and looked over the security. By the time opening night had come, I had dressed in my new grey robes. I was slightly anxious as I walked into the Great Hall and took my seat at the staff table. I could hardly pay attention to the sorting as I scanned over the Gryffindor stable for the fifth time.

Harry was nowhere to be seen. I ate subconsciously, still searching for Harry before he appeared, covered in blood. "The very best of evenings to you!" Dumbledore called, standing before the students. At the sound of several queries about Dumbledore's blackened hand, he shifted the sleeve of his robe to hide it. "Nothing to worry about. Now, to our new students, welcome, to our old students, welcome back! Another year full of magical education awaits you."

"Mr. Filch, our caretaker, has asked me to say that there is a blanket ban on any joke shop bought at the shop Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Those wishing to play for their House Quiddich teams should give their names to their Heads of House as usual. We are also looking for new Quiddich commentators, who should do likewise."

"We have three changes in staffing this year. We are pleased to welcome Professor Slughorn and Madam Black." Slughorn stood as Dumbledore continued, "Professor Slughorn is a former colleague of mine who had agreed to resume his old post of Potions Master. Professor Snape meanwhile will be taking over the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"Madam Valerie Black, a very recent graduate, will be taking over as our flying instructor and Quidditch referee. Now, as everybody in this hall knows, Lord Voldemort and his followers are once more at large and gaining in strength." I couldn't bring myself to keep listening as I began wondering what had happened to Harry. Before I knew it, Dumbledore was sending everyone off.

"Valerie!" Ginny called, rushing over to me. I smiled as she demanded, "Why didn't you tell us you were working here now?"

"Surprise," I said. "I'll be attending most of the Quiddich practices so you'll be seeing a lot of me."

"Great," she replied, giving me a hug.