5- Broken Promise

Yara stopped Hritika again to ask about her hoodie. Vivaan was not able to understand what was wrong with that hoodie as he couldn't smell anything wrong yet he stood beside Yara firmly, not opposing her.

"Why should I answer you?" Hritika rolled her eyes.

She couldn't wait to get away from them. Though they were young, their way of talking or even standing portrayed hierarchy. There was something about them that felt unsettling yet trustworthy.

Two contradictory emotions that too for strangers didn't go well with Hritika.

"It's not rocket science. Just answer and make sure to not enter this clearing again," Vivaan ordered, his dominance coming out.

Hritika was obviously affected by his dominance, but being known for the best poker face, this girl didn't let any fear show on her face.

Raising her eyebrows and folding her hands, she smirked and denied his authority on his face.

"I won't. It's too much fun to hide the answer when I know that you desperately want it."

Joy was angered by this show of disrespect and acted on behalf of his human, though keeping in mind to not shift in front of her.

Clutching Hritika's hand tightly, he got in her face.

"Listen here, answer us when we are asking you politely or you won't be able to handle the consequences," Joy snarled.

"How dare you touch me?" Hritika's face twisted in anger.

She started pulling her hand out of Vivaan's hold.

"Leave my hand...," Hritika abruptly paused her sentence as she noticed the birth mark in Vivaan's hand.

She was shocked to the core. Knowing that getting angry would not get her any answers, she took a deep breath to calm down.

Vivaan too left her hand, sensing that something had gone wrong. Plus it was never his intention to harm her.

"This...this birthmark...," Hritika trailed off her sentence.

"It's quite surprising that you knew this was a birthmark. Everyone else has always confused it with a tattoo," Yara spoke in a surprised tone.

"How..."

Hritika's question was cut off by her phone ring. Showing a finger as an indication to wait for one minute, she stepped back a few steps and answered the call.

"I can't seem to find my hoodie. Any idea about the person who must have stolen it?" Nihal taunted as soon as Hritika picked up the call.

"I didn't steal it. I have just borrowed it for a while. You will get it back later," Hritika answered while eyeing the duo who were impatiently waiting for her.

"Get it back? Just like the other 15-20 hoodies, I never got back after you 'borrowed them'," Nihal laughed.

"Nihal, um...did your father have any siblings?" Hritika questioned hesitantly.

All the laughter disappeared the moment Hritika mentioned that man.

"You know that we don't talk about that person. Why are you bringing him up?" Nihal questioned back, his mood turned sour.

"I am sorry but just this once. Did he have any siblings? You know with the same generic birth mark," Hritika questioned again with urgency.

"Hritika, what's wrong? Where are you right now?" Nihal asked, his heart beating fast due to fear.

"I am near the clearing. Please answer the question," she requested.

"Why the hell are you at the clearing? You promised," Nihal stood up from his seat and started pacing.

His mind was running a thousand miles. Hritika's sudden question plus her lack of safety.

"I promised to not go inside the forest and I kept my promise. I didn't put my foot inside that forest, I was just at the clearing. Now can you please answer my question?" Hritika was now getting impatient.

Letting out a huge sigh, Nihal answered.

"No, my father was an only child. Now that you have your answer, please leave from there. My instincts are telling me that something bad is going to happen," Nihal requested.

"Yeah okay," Hritika said and ended the call.

Walking back, Hritika stood in front of Vivaan and kept staring at him quietly.

"What?" Vivaan questioned, tired of her staring.

"What's your age?" Hritika questioned quietly.

Vivaan and Yara were shocked and confused by her sudden question.

"Why should I tell you?" Vivaan smirked.

He was going to play around as she did with the hoodie's question but something in her eyes compelled him to answer her correctly.

"Eighteen."

That single worded answer broke Hritika. Everything made sense to her now.

"Well now that you have got your answer, can you tell me why you suddenly need to question my age?" Vivaan asked with raised eyebrows.

Wordlessly shaking her head lightly, Hritika turned around and started walking away from them.

"What just happened?" Yara questioned, looking at Hritika's back.

"No idea," Vivaan shrugged and they both went back to gather their bags.

While the other two already forgot this strange interaction and went on with their usual talks, Hritika silently cried all the way.

These tears weren't for herself but for her cousin and Aunt, who went through so much.

Her Aunt who never went back to her home hoping that her husband would come back to take them.

Her cousin who ran towards the door every time when the bell rang, hoping that his father came back.

After so many years, her cousin gave up but her Aunt never lost hope. She waited for him until her last breath.

These tears were for that broken promise. A promise that was made by her Uncle nineteen years ago.