38

TW's:
-None

Two weeks had passed and it was the day of the tournament. I had been training every single day to walk and even run a little. I was still way weaker than before my cancer, but I was already proud of the small steps I was making.

I didn't have contact with anyone but Clay of my team. I really hoped they wouldn't hate me for showing up, I was afraid they wouldn't like me playing. I was afraid the crowd would laugh at me for being bald and having a tube. I still had my tube, because eating was still a hell. I was still nauseous the whole time, I didn't throw up anymore, but I kept being nauseous. They were going to remove my tube next week and see how I would do without it.

Clay grabbed my hand as we arrived at the hall where the tournament was going to begin in ten minutes. Clay smiled at me and he stood still. 'There is a small surprise for you.'

'What?'

'Open the door to the changing room, baby.'

I nodded slowly, feeling nerves rush through my body for some reason. I was honestly scared for what I was going to see, so I pushed the door open with my eyes closed.

'Open them, honey.'

I slowly opened my eyes and my mouth fell open. I looked at the changing room filled with balloons and then I looked at the people. Every single one of them had shaved their heads completely bald. I didn't know about the girls, but I remember me telling Clay that I absolutely didn't want them to shave their heads too. It was way easier to grow your normal hair back as a boy than as a girl with long hair. I looked at them in shock and I held Clay's hand tightly to try and not cry.

'You can cry, sweetie,' Clay said as he saw me fighting against my tears.

'For me?' I whispered with a small voice crack.

'For you,' Clay said as he took off his beanie, showing me he was completely bald again. 'We promised you, George. And I have kept all my promises so also this one.'

'I think I will just be watching, I don't want you lose the tournament, because of me.'

Alex walked closer to me and he held his hand on my shoulder. 'You are going to train with us. This was your wish, Clay told us. He said that when you were on the edge of dying, your last wish was to be at the tournament. If you think you're able to at least participate, we are going to play with you in our team.'

'But Darryl finally got chosen too and I'll make him lose.'

'Do you think I care? I can play already and that makes me happy. I'm not here to win, I'm here to enjoy.'

'And Will?'

Will who was also sitting here stood up and grabbed my shoulders. 'Dude-.' He started giggling and moved closer to my ear. 'I hate hockey,' he whispered, laughing loudly after.

I smiled shyly and I hugged Clay tightly after. 'Can I actually play? Will the crowd laugh at me? Or will the other teams bully me?'

'Basically everyone in the tournament knows about your cancer and no one is going to make fun of you. If they will, I will beat the shit out of them. And I swear, I will not spare them,' Sapnap said. 'If someone makes fun of you, let me know. I'll show them who is stronger.'

I giggled shyly. 'Are you going to play with a beanie?'

'No,' Sap said.

I sighed deeply and looked at Clay. He gave me a small nod and smiled at me. I smiled back and after preparing myself for a few minutes, I took off my beanie, revealing my head.

'Looking good,' Sapnap said.

I shrugged and I hugged Clay, who kissed the top of my head multiple times. 'Within a few months you will have some short hairs back.'

I smiled shyly and Clay held my hand, kissing my cheek. 'You're going to do amazing,' Clay whispered.

The others slowly started leaving the changing room and I really wanted to stay here because I was scared of all the people. Clay saw and he made me sit down on a bench, pulling me close.

'It's just us two,' he smiled as he kissed my nose.

I nodded. 'Will you promise me something again?'

'I will promise you anything you ask me to.'

'Will you promise me to keep loving me or at least to keep by my side forever.'

Clay smiled and nodded heavily, grabbing my hand. 'I promise you that I will keep loving you forever. I don't know if you've noticed, but I love you so much that it just hurts sometimes.'

'Do you actually care about me?'

Clay smiled and nodded. 'I can prove it.'

'How.'

'Every night in the time you were so sick I went home again. I cried all nights long and my mum put a mattress on the ground to sleep on, because I was crying so much. Every time before sleeping, I wrote a short message to you in my notes. I didn't dare showing it because I thought it was too cliche.' Clay grabbed his phone and gave me it. I started reading and I blushed brightly.

All messages were about how he wanted to see me again, how he would do anything to help me get better, how he loved me so much that it hurt to see me in pain, how he would take all my pain on him just to see me happy, and most important to me. How he made a whole list, including around a hundred reasons why he would never leave me.

I had tears in my eyes as I looked up at Clay and he smiled shyly. I pressed my lips on his to kiss him shortly. We broke apart not too long later and he smiled.

'Do you believe me now?'

I nodded and smiled. 'I'm ready, I'm ready to go inside.'

Clay smiled and held my hands as I slowly opened the door.

1041 words