Chapter 13

(Levi's POV)-

I was sitting at my desk peacefully reading when I heard a loud knock at the door. I sighed and lowered my book slightly.

"Name and business?"

"It's me Levi. We need to talk." Hange's voice rang from the other side, sounding more serious than usual. I put my book face down on my desk before going to open the door. Hange stood with her hands on her hips and a slight scowl on her face.

"What is going on with you?"

"Hange, what the hell are you talking about?" I asked with more than a hint of annoyance.

"Why are you ignoring y/n?" I grunted and tried to close the door in her face, but she stuck her foot between the door before it could fully shut.

"You're not getting out of this Levi." Hange stated coldly. I gave up on trying to force the door shut and walked over to my couch, sitting and putting my head in my hands.

"Now, why are you ignoring her? The poor girl thinks it's her fault."

"..."

"It's cause you're scared you'll hurt her isn't it?" Hange questioned. I sighed and gave in.

"I'm scared I'm going to get close to her and she's gonna die. It happened with Farlan and Isabel just like it happened with my mom and Kenny. You happy now four eyes?" I snapped aggressively. Hange just sighed and sat next to me.

"I know it's scary, but you can't push her away like this. You're hurting her. Plus you deserve to have someone. You cant live your whole life keeping everyone at arms distance. You're a 30 year old virgin for gods sake!" Hange chuckled dryly at her last statement. I smirked and punched her lightly in the arm.

"I hate when you're right" I grumbled. "I'll talk to her."

"Good, she deserves better." Hange put her hand on my shoulder and smiled before standing.

"Oh! And one more thing, since you lied about doing paperwork you get to do mine!"

"Do it yourself, I don't take orders from you."

"You do from Erwin thoughhhhh" Hange smirked.

"Tch"

(Y/n's POV)-

It's too late to be up, but I can't sleep. My nightmares have been worse since the expedition. Seeing those bodies brought back memories from shiganshina, aswell as creating a whole new trauma. No matter how many times I try to distract myself the image of my brothers body flashes in my mind nonstop. It's honestly pathetic. Everyone here has lost someone, yet they're able to move on and heal. Meanwhile I've been wallowing in my grief for the past 4 years.

I finally decided to give up on trying to fall asleep and wander headquarters. I aimlessly walked around  until I found myself outside in the middle of the training yard. I sighed and looked around the yard. It was almost too dark to see anything, except for the lit lantern hanging in the stable. I wanted to go back inside considering my past experiences there, but curiosity got the better of me.
I slowly approached the stable, careful not to make too much noise. I peeked in to see a short red haired girl petting one of the horses.

"Hey Petra. What are you doing up so late?" I sighed in relief.

"Oh! Hey y/n, I just couldn't sleep."

"Same here. Mind if I chill here for a bit?"

"Not at all! It'd be nice to have some company that can actually respond." Petra chuckled softly. I nodded and sat on one of the hay bales while she got out a brush and began brushing her horses mane. She worked in silence while I spaced off a bit. The silence was nice, but the was a slight tension in the air. After awhile Petra sighed and turned to me.

"Can.. can I talk with you for a bit?" She asked timidly.

"Uh... sure. What's up?" I stood and walked up next to her.

"So um.. you and the captain are pretty close aren't you?"

"I don't know. I felt we had grown pretty close, but it's been a few days since he's talked to me. I think he's probably tired of me or something." Petra laughed at my response. I looked at her, confused at the sudden outburst.

"You can't be serious right? The captain is head over heels for you!" She managed through her giggles.

"How would you know?" I responded, slightly annoyed. Petra sighed and continued.

"I've known the captain for a while now. He's always been very stoic and practically emotionless. The only people I've ever seen make him smile are you and Hange, but with you it's different. He looks at you how I've wanted him to look at me since I met him, and you look at him the same way." Petra said with a sad smile on her face.

"Oh.. I'm sorry. I didn't know you felt that way about him.."

"No no it's fine! If something were to have happened between us it would've by now. I'm just happy to see you two happy." She quickly responded waving her hands.

"Thank you Petra. You're amazing." I leaned over and hugged her tightly. "If it makes you feel any better, you're one of the prettiest girls here. I don't have a doubt in my mind that you'll find someone amazing."

"Thank you so much, that means the world to me." Petra pulled away to face me.

We stayed and talked and random things for hours until we both eventually passed out in the hay pile.

(AN)- THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 1k READS!!!!! I can't tell you how much it means that you've all supported my story. I'm going to continue writing this one for awhile aswell as work on some others. Again, thank you so much❤️