Chapter 9

It had been around two months since I joined the scouts, we were informed by Erwin that an expedition would've occurring in a week. I anxiously bit my fingernails in the dining hall as my mind raced with everything that could go wrong.
Hange took her usual seat next to me and opened her mouth to speak until noticing my distress.

"What's wrong y/n?" She asked, concern slightly lacing her voice.

"I'm just nervous about my first trip outside the walls, my nerves are eating me alive." I mumbled as I continued to chew on my cuticles.

"That's not the only thing that'll be eaten alive soon!" A man from another table shouted over to me, laughing in the process. Suddenly a spoon flung across the room and smacked him in between the eyes. He shouted as I looked over to Hange and giggled at her actions.

"It's going to be ok, everyones anxious their first time." She smiled softly at me.

"Thank you Hange. I'd rather not talk about it any further though." I trailed off.

"Alright." Hange furrowed her brow in thought before a wide grin spread across her face.

"Hey y/n, you got your eye on anyone here?" She asked suddenly. My eyes widened and I accidentally bit my finger too hard, causing a small droplet of blood to form.

"What? Of course not. Why the hell would you ask that?" I retorted.

"Just wondering!" She beamed. "However based on your reaction I'm not so sure you're being honest."

I gave her a confused look. "I genuinely don't know what you're talking about."

"If you say soooooo."

I didn't reply to her jeers, assuming she was just being her usual crazy self.

"What about you Hange? I'm sure you've got men all the way from wall sina lined up at your door." I say sarcastically.

"I'm not really into men honestly, they're extremely hard to understand." Hange said matter of factly.

"That's rich coming from you." I laugh.

"I do happen to be pretty popular with the ladies however." She declared smugly.

"Hange! Stop lying to y/n, everyone knows you repel anyone in a five mile radius with your stench." Levi said in a monotone voice walking up to the table.

"He's just mad I get more women than he does." Hange said with a smirk on her face. I snorted in amusement and rolled my eyes.

"What about you levi? Anyone you got your eyes on?" Hange questioned suggestively.

"Absolutely not. I find everyone here incredibly annoying." He said, his voice full of disgust.

I felt a pang in my chest at his words as my smile faltered slightly. I tuned out of their conversation as I tried to think of an explanation for the unfamiliar pain I was feeling. I stood from my seat at the table and felt my comrades eyes fall on me.

"Sorry guys, I think I might've eaten something bad and gotten heartburn. I'm going to go see if I can sleep it off." I smiled and walked towards my quarters.
As I walked my eyes were trained on the ground until I felt someone bump into me. I stumble a bit and look down to see Petra on the floor.

"Oh sorry!! I wasn't looking where I was going." I apologize quickly and offer her my hand. She takes it and brushes herself off.

"You're fine, I wasn't paying attention either." She says sweetly. "Where are you going by the way? Dinner just started."