✎ until death do us apart ☞ narry

Warnings
strong language
character death

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Everyday, Niall had to watch the love of his life agonizingly wither away: physically and emotionally, rendered helpless by the fact that he could not abate his pain or take it all away.

Harry happened to be another hapless victim of the virulent cancer. The malediction attacked first his lungs then spread to all of his organs ruthlessly and left chemotherapy an inevitable option for the younger boy.

Harry was very . . . accepting when he first received the news. Niall on the other hand lost his equanimity and was fully convinced that that was the end of the world, for the both of them.

Harry was the stronger one of the two; Niall could always count on falling back on Harry, so he did not know how he was supposed to be the strong one for the both of them now.

After countless sleepless nights filled with tears and empty promises of stability, Harry was finally admitted into the hospital permanently.

That was three months ago.

"Hi baby, how are you feeling today?" Niall chirped as soon as he burst into Harry's hospital room, then proceeded to lean down and press a gentle kiss to his pale forehead.

"I think I'm going to shave my hair off today." Harry muttered staidly.

"Harry . . ." Niall trailed off.

"No, Niall. I need to do this. I'm getting worse, not long is left for me, we both know that, and I'm tired of watching my hair fall off steadily, ringlet after ringlet." Harry replied, despondence lacing his voice.

"Let me take you out today, before you shave your precious curls, curly." Niall suggested weakly.

"Are we even allowed to do that anymore?" Harry chuckled bitterly.

It twisted at Niall's heart, how defeated his voice was. Harry used to be so strong, and now he looked like a little child who just watched a horror movie- his eyes wide and panicked.

"Well, no, but we will. Just give me a couple of minutes. I'll be back right away." Niall stated with determination.

Harry's voice stopped Niall short just as he was about to leave the hospital room.

"Niall?"

"Yeah baby?"

"I love you." And yeah, if Harry was asked about his panacea, he would definitely say the irises bearing sparkling blue convolutely mixed with golden specks that adorned Niall's face in a heartbeat.

"I love you too, angel." Harry's heart fluttered in his chest as Niall sent him his 'Harry smile' before he left the room. He liked to believe that this smile never came out to anyone but himself, so he titled it accordingly.

When Harry was allowed moments of serenity, his first prepossessing thought was Niall. He did not want to leave his blond fiancé in this world alone. Harry would not get the chance to vow to protect, love, and cherish him. He would not get the chance to experience growing old with Niall like he had envisioned. Harry was resentful about the fact that he would not get to spend enough time with Niall. He felt like there was still so much to do, so much to do with Niall, but he has to leave the world so early.

Harry was of course grateful, for he got to experience life with Niall, even if it was a paucity of time, but at least it was enough for them to fall in love and put a ring on it.