Chapter Two

"Come on, Lifty! Get your ass up!"

Lifty groaned and attempted to stay in, but a swift kick to his back had him falling off his bed and onto the ground with a yelp. He huffed and sat up, turning to look over at his brother, Shifty, who glaring over at him. His brother had another scheme today.

"Sh-Shifty, can't we-we stay in today?" Lifty complained, getting up and grabbing his pants to put them on.

"No, dumb-ass. And stop stuttering, you sound retarded."

"I-I-I can't help it. You-you know that." He frowned, picking his scarf up from his dresser.

"Oh, shut up. You could if you tried. Now let's go."

Shifty walked out of Lifty's crummy, little room and Lifty followed after him. Since they were young teens, they'd been scheming and stealing to make a living. In a small town, like this, where everyone died on a regular basis, no one ever did anything about them. They didn't even have a police force. There was a jail house, but it was hardly ever used. What for? Everything always reset and people ended up back in their homes. So, people kind of just walked around ignoring everything.

"Today, let's go pay Mole a visit. He's been doing that stupid blood bank thing. We can rob his ass blind. Literally." Shifty laughed, smacking Lifty's back playfully.

Lifty smiled at that, but inwardly groaned, "S-sounds good, Sh-Shifty."

They walked out of their crummy apartment. It was already the afternoon. It was a beautiful day. Lifty followed behind his brother, just a few feet behind since his brother hated when he walked by his side. He watched the confident back of Shifty, standing proud and cocky. Lifty wasn't as cool as Shifty. He always followed his brother's lead because he didn't know how to take the lead.

"You're so fucking useless!"

He blinked and shook his head, a smile on his face as they passed the railroad tracks towards the nicer part of town. Shifty began to talk about their plan. How Lifty would distract the Mole so he could find where he kept the money, take all of it, and replace it with a bunch of buttons he stole off of the couches at the furniture store. Recently, the two heroes of town had been patrolling the town much more frequently, so they had been laying low a lot.  Shifty had finally worked out their flight schedules and started planning a few schemes to work out before the heroes figured out their plans. The only thing they had to worry about was the curse.

It was a known fact that they were one of the few people in the town that had a very high record of dying. However, for about five months, it seemed like a lot of deaths hadn't been happening like it used to in the past. So, Lifty actually couldn't remember the last time he died. Whether that was a good thing or not, he assumed another death was rearing its nasty head around the corner. He wasn't worried about it though, he had his brother to help him.

Shifty punched his shoulder hard to get his attention and he yelped in surprise, "Hey, dumb-ass, pay attention."

Lifty pouted at that, rubbing his shoulder, "Wh-what?"

Shifty pointed up, leaning against the wall of a building as Lifty looked up in a not-so-subtle way. As he did, he saw Splendid flying over, carrying an old woman and her dog. Looked like she was getting a ride somewhere. He looked over at Shifty, who smirked at that, waiting until Splendid was out of sight for him to speak.