Chapter Five

In order to make sure Splendid didn't get suspicious of his plans, he really did make Lifty do some community work. Such as picking up litter, cleaning windows of stores for owners that asked, and lectured him for about ten minutes about participating in crimes. So far, in the two days he had Lifty with him, the younger man did everything he told him to without complaining. Shifty was usually the to bitch and moan about doing this stuff and Lifty would copy him, but without his brother around, he was very docile. Splendid liked that about him. He was a good person without his brother's influence.

"S-S-Splendont?"

He blinked out of his musings when Lifty poked his shoulder, sending a thrill through his body as he turned to look at him with a pleasant smile, "Yes?"

"I-I-I'm done."

Splendont looked passed him to see the graffiti on the park slides were finally cleaned off. Splendont smile widened at that, Lifty was a very diligent worker when it wasn't some half baked heist plan. He got up from the bench he was sitting on and patted Lifty's head.

"You did very well! How about I treat you to lunch then?"

Lifty blushed at the praise, "A-a-again?"

"Sure! I need to make sure you're taken care of even if you're doing some service. Plus you need to rest right? You've been working since breakfast."

Splendont enjoyed the way Lifty looked away bashfully, "Um... o-okay. Thank-thank you."

Splendont took the cleaning supplies from Lifty and dumped them in the trash nearby before grabbing the little raccoon and lifting off into the air to find a place to eat. Lifty yelped at that and cling to Splendont, fearing heights. Splendont knew this and held Lifty carefully, relishing in the fact he was holding him. Splendont did this on purpose. Prolonged contact allowed for familiarity in someone, that would allow him an opening to get closer to the thief. Why he wanted the thief close, he was still working out the reason for it. He took him over a few buildings to a nice dine-in cafe, retro themed. He set the raccoon down when he finally realized they were no longer up in the sky. He grabbed Lifty's arm, forcing himself to grab his wrist since he wanted to touch Lifty's hand, and pulled him into the dining room.

As soon as they entered, all heads turned to them. Splendont strode in, with Lifty behind him to the front. He saw familiar faces of Sniffles and Toothy together. Cuddles and Giggles, who looked like they were on a date. Mime was manning the counter, and despite the falter of his smile in seeing Splendont, he forced it with a wave and waited in panic for Splendont to order. A few other residents were eerily quiet, and since Lifty hated silence, Splendont glanced at them, fire in his eyes as he motioned with his hands for the people to continue on.

Reluctantly, the little dine-in was noisy once more. Splendont flashed a smile before turning to Lifty, who was unaware of what happened because he was staring at the menu. He guided Lifty in front of him and pointed, "Go ahead, get whatever you want."

"Re-really?"

"Of course! Gotta make sure you're fed." Splendont encouraged, glancing at Mime, who stared at him in surprise. His smile went down as he stared at Mime with a deafening calmness causing him to look away with a nervous look on his face.

"Uuuhhh..." he looked back down at Lifty, who stared up at the screen. "I-I-I don't—"

Splendont floated up and began to point at the items, "Chicken sandwich? Hot dog? Hamburger?"