D.S. | Lonely Pt. 1

Background: You met Chloe at a theatre club for homeschooled students when you were both 11 and instantly hit it off

Background: You met Chloe at a theatre club for homeschooled students when you were both 11 and instantly hit it off. You spent the next 7 years becoming best friends through countless sleepovers and shared secrets. She recently left to attend college at Washington State University and you decided to stay home and take online classes.
•   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •

Your POV

Stepping out of my car, I make my way toward the entrance of the store.

"Eggs, avocados, rice, beans," I say to myself, repeating it over and over like a mantra.

My refrigerator is empty and I don't have a lot of money but I've got to eat something, so here I am buying the bare minimum.

As I enter the store I keep my eyes straight ahead, hoping to avoid anyone I know from school. Walking toward the back of the store, I hear someone call my name. Shit.

I try to pretend like I didn't hear them, but they say it again. Giving in, I stop in my tracks and spin around. Oh, it's Diane! She waves at me with one hand while cradling two bottles of wine with the other. God, she's so radiant. I haven't seen her since Chloe's graduation party and I miss her.

"Got a fun night ahead?" I grin and gesture to the alcohol.

"Hardly," she chuckles under her breath, "it's been quite lonely since Chloe left".

I give her a sympathetic smile and agree, "It's been kind of lonely for me too.. with her being gone. I'm sure it's even harder for you. Most of my friends went away for college and I barely see them."

Her eyes lit up in understanding, "Well, do you want to come by tonight? I can make dinner and we can watch a movie or something."

"Sure!" I respond with no hesitation.

"Does 6:00 sound okay?" Her lisp is so darn cute.

"Yes ma'am" I throw up my hand to a salute and grin.

"Alright sweetheart, see you then," I watch as she waves and walks off toward the registers. Ugh I miss her calling me that.

Damn. Has she been working out? Looking like she got some booty gains. I don't remember her jeans being so snug. I bite the inside of my lip and walk off before she sees me.

•   •   •   •   •   •   •   •
2 hours later

"Okay, it's 5:00, so I've got an hour and a half to finish getting ready. Brownies are in the oven, just need to shower and change," I say under my breath.