W.V. | Secrets Pt. 1

(This entire story is from your POV)

•   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •

March 3, 2021
Outpost 3

"417 days in this place. Just a little over a year, but it seems like a lifetime. Might as well be. Nothing from my life before this place persists. I can't even remember my mother's face. Or the sounds of the birds, the taste of fresh honey, the feeling of tall grass tickling my skin. I often fantasize about the day we'll be released into our new world. But I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever come."

*ring ring ring*
I jump as the dinner bell sounds through the halls. I've gotten used to the quiet down here. You'd be surprised how silent it becomes once the world dies.

I close my notebook for the millionth time since arriving here and slide it under my pillow. Reading and writing are my two luxuries. Without them, I would've offed myself a long time ago.

Among entering the corridor, an unfamiliar smell instantly hits me. A warm, savory aroma lures me to the dining hall, where I see a robust black pot in the center of the table. I slide into my seat and whisper to Gallant, "am I hallucinating?"

Without taking his eyes off the pot, he affirms what I'm seeing, "not unless we all are".

Our attention snaps to Ms. Venable as she taps her cane twice, "As you can see, we have a special treat for tonight. The cooperative has so kindly provided us with fresh oysters as a glimpse and a promise of what is to come."

The entire table lights up with smiles, I think I even see one playing at the corner of Ms. Venable's mouth. She taps her cane twice again, signaling our cue to begin eating.

One of the servants removes the lid from the boulder sized pot, causing a gentle cloud of steam to rise. I wait patiently as the grays distribute our meal. As the oysters are carefully placed in front of me, I revel in the smell. Visions of the shoreline come to mind, along with the dreamy voice of Patti Page.

"If you're fond of sand dunes
and salty air,
quaint little villages
here and there,
you're sure to fall in love
with old Cape Cod."

Her voice dissipates as moans of satisfaction sound from around the table, mainly from Coco who has almost inhaled her entire plate. My eyes land on Ms. Venable's, whose are fluttering closed as we speak. With her head tilted back, she subtly devours the delicacy in her hand. Entranced, I watch the muscles in her jaw ripple as her tongue coaxes the flesh out of its shell. It takes a few seconds to loosen, but eventually falls past her lips. Perfectly illuminated by the dinner candles, her throat tightens as she swallows.

As I feel a dense heat creeping up my neck, I swiftly cast my eyes downward toward my plate and begin eating. I lift the steaming shell to my mouth and let it rest against my lips. The heat feels so good on my skin. The oyster slips into my mouth as I lap up its juices with my tongue. It slides down my throat so effortlessly, begging me to consume another one. So I do. Until the plate is empty and it's liquid is running down my chin, which I quickly clear up with one swipe of my tongue. As I'm gulping down my mineral water, I feel a pair of eyes settle on me. After carefully placing my glass back on the table, I look over to see Ms. Venable staring directly at me. She quickly looks away and clears her throat,
"Uhm - there is plenty for seconds. Another round for everyone?"

-
after dinner

By the time I get back to my room it's late in the evening, but that doesn't stop me from clamoring for my journal, itching to write it all down.

"My god, we had oysters tonight. It's the first time I've tasted real food since we had stew... however long ago that was. While that was a real treat, it didn't even compare to the pleasure of watching Ms. Venable immerse herself in the delicacy. I've never seen her so content, so enthralled, so human. I could watch her for days. But I don't, because I don't want her catching on. I've seen her bad side. I've watched the pleasure seep from her face as she humiliates the grays. I've seen the marks that she's left on the purples. I even came close to being punished myself on one occasion. But despite it all, I can't help but feel a relentless attraction toward her. She enraptures me. She has since the beginning. I tried to shake it but I just can't."

I close my journal and saunter toward the bathroom, wishing this night could never end. Upon undressing, I notice the unfamiliar swell of my belly and relish in the feeling of being full. Venable's words replay in my head, "a glimpse and a promise of what is to come." I stopped believing in promises long ago, but a glimmer of hope nestles inside of me anyway.