A.M. | Welcome Home Pt. 3

•   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Your POV

I'm going to need some more mystery punch if I'm going to wear these heels for another hour. I'm tempted to take them off, but Phyllis would slap me into next week.

Speaking of, here she comes "Y/N, darling. Alice is here, she's in the kitchen. Why don't you go say hello?"

My heart gets excited, "I thought you said she couldn't make it?"

"Well, she said she would rather be here than at home."

Oh boy. I try to mask my enthusiasm with indifference, seeing as how I'm not supposed to be attracted to my mom's best friend. Cool as a cucumber, I make my way toward the kitchen and spot her instantly. My god, how could I not? I've never seen her look like this before. She's an absolute dream.

As I approach her, I try not to stare but fail miserably, "Alice! Oh my god, you look stunning."

"Hey! Oh my goodness, thank you! I haven't worn this dress in 20 years, I'm surprised it still fits." She chuckles and brushes off the compliment.

"It fits very well, in fact... one might be inclined to think you're trying to steal the show," I nudge her ribs with my elbow.

She gasps and hits me on the shoulder, "Never! You look amazing and you know it." Her bottom lip slips beneath her teeth as she throws me a wink.

Gettin' a lil toasty in here.

"You're crazy, hush!" I look down, trying to hide the blush creeping up my neck.

"So I'm terrible and accidentally left your graduation gift back at my place. Do you want to drop in after the party is over?" Her eyes are bright with anticipation.

"Oh, sure! Um, the party ends at 8:00, so does 8:15 sound okay?" It takes everything in me not to lower my eyes to her chest while I'm speaking.

"Sure, love bug. That sounds perfect. I'll see you then!" Her arms open, pulling me into a tight hug.

It's 10:00 and the last person just left. Geeez, I did not sign up for this. I started putting away the food and drinks so the guests would get the memo, but mom scolded me for being having bad hospitality.

"Mom, I'm going to Alice's to get my graduation gift," I shout from upstairs.

"At this hour?" I lean over the bannister to see her standing with her arms across her chest.