A.M. | Welcome Home Pt. 1

Background: It's 1976

Background: It's 1976. Phyllis Schlafly is your mother. You've been away at university for four years, loving every minute of freedom. You're headed home for the summer to celebrate your graduation and help your mother with her campaigning.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Your POV

"Rhiannon rings like a bell through the night,
and wouldn't you love to love her?"

Driving down the interstate, I sing along to the radio at the top of my lungs. This is my favorite part of the day. Watching the sunset turn everything golden makes me feel better about life.

My fingers fumble with the volume knob as I spot my exit. Smiling, I cruise into our quaint little town.

Ten minutes later, I'm pulling into the drive of my childhood home. The sweet honeysuckles and magnolia trees greet me. Nothing much has changed. It's always seemed outside of time here.

I get out of the car and stretch my legs, taking note of the warm weather. I don't see any other cars in the drive... maybe they're out?

After letting myself in, I make my way to the kitchen and spot a note pad with a message in neat handwriting, "Gone to the Walker's for dinner, be back around 8. Welcome home, sweetie! Love you -Mom"

"Cool" I mumble to myself. Guess I should go ahead and unpack. Lord knows I brought enough with me.

• • • • • • • • • •
*30 minutes later*

As I finally get all seven bags up to my room, I hear the doorbell ring. Did I lock the door? I guess they're home earlier than planned.

I can't keep a grin from forming as I run down the stairs to greet my family.

"Helloooooo!" I yank the front door open, catching my pinky toe in the process.

"Shit" I curse under my breath, immediately falling to the floor.

"Y/N?" I look up to see Alice standing on the doorway with fresh tears on her face.

"Alice? Sorry I thought you were mom. Are you okay?" I suddenly forget the pain in my foot as I see her red, swollen eyes.

"Oh, I didn't realize she was out. Yes, sweetheart." She sounds unsure of herself but gives me a convincing smile. "Better question is, are you okay?"