13. THE DAY OF LOVE CONT'D

(  13 — THE DAY OF LOVE CONT'D

(  13 — THE DAY OF LOVE CONT'D.  )

     EVENING OF Valentine's Day was occupied with Slughorn's party. Carina never felt the need to attend any of those parties. Yet here she was getting ready for the party; her roommates had already left with their dates. Standing in front of the mirror, she took a good look at herself — the pureblood wife she was meant to be. The emerald satin dress perfectly matched with her silver accessories, her hair and makeup done to perfection.

It felt ironic that she had grown to repulse at the destiny of what she was born to. Yet here she stood wearing the colors representing all that she hated. Her loyalty wavering, she was conflicted — before she had an ideal, she had a family, a lifestyle. But now, she only had Perseus. As much as she'd hate to admit it, James Potter had opened her eyes to a different world, a world seen through rose colored glasses.

Carina Black was a realist, she believed what she saw. She knew what the world offered, and she didn't pretend as if the world wasn't cruel, but James taught her that it doesn't hurt to be a dreamer once in a while.

The problem being that she had no dreams.

Lingering a while longer she finally left her room running into her cousin. "Rin! Look at you all dolled up! Care to join me for Slughorn's party?" he offered his arm to the girl. Gratefully accepting it, she linked her arm, and the two cousins left the common room. At least she wouldn't be all alone at the party she would rather not go to, but her mother sent an owl telling the girl she needed to go — find herself a 'suitable match' as her mother put it. Arabella Black had eyes everywhere, it was better to comply than to defy and end up in a situation like Christmas. All of Slughorn's parties were meant for the smart and the powerful to intermingle. A social event to make connections — connections that will aide you in the future outside the castle walls. Carina knew that but she still never attended hating the idea of having to interact with people she barely liked. Planning on staying with Regulus the whole party. However, his friends were not any better than Lucius Malfoy.