Part 37

Y/N was once again the black sheep, almost quite literally as well. He, the Headmaster and the lingering Specialist passed numerous people all wearing white lab coats.

His nose caught something in the air, it was too complicated and tainted with other scents to properly nail down. Dust, oil, metal and sometimes food from a late night snack.

This was a thinking tank, he was surrounded by some of the finest minds in Atlas, renowned and respected around the world.

So it made sense that they eye Y/N with varying gazes. Worry, intimidation, curiosity and even complete indifference.

Just through one of the many hallways was a double door, on each side were windows, thick and tough for a safe viewing area.

"They take pride here at research and development." The Headmaster said. "Your equipment couldn't be in better hands."

Standing before the glass, Y/N could see just what a gathering of geniuses could achieve.

Improvements to droid technology, developing new and improved weaponry, testing said equipment with professional mannerisms and hidden excitement in their eyes. Y/N even saw a hulking piece of standing metal, either a heavyweight droid or a powered suit to be piloted.

"There's one in particular I want you to meet, he specializes in these sorts of things." The double doors automatically opened for James, just for another security measure to be put in place, a small checkpoint for the doctors and scientists.

James stood before a desk with military personnel, speaking in a not so hushed voice.

"You can take that off y'know."

Too busy watching what had been happening, Y/N looked to the Specialist at his side. She refered to his visitors pass.

Y/N gave a small grunt in reply before he pulled it off and crumpled it, placing it in his pocket to be thrown away later.

Finishing up his conversation and signing a few papers, James beckoned to Y/N with a small wave. "This way."

There was a quiet buzz before James clicked and pushed open a heavy door, that's when Y/N's nose wrinkled in a slight discomfort.

How can they live like this?

Shaking his head with a small cough, Y/N followed the Headmaster through a jungle of machinery, it hung over head, floated by on small gravity dust platforms and even flew through the air.

"Pietro!" James yelled over a bright and loud display. They were in a smaller section of the lab, one that Y/N guessed was for droids judging by the amount of parts specifically placed.

"Pietro!" James repeated, until then did the sound stop and the light slowly die down.

A man was seated to a table, he was heavyset with a classy apparel underneath his lab coat. He had a specific helmet on with blacked out lenses.

Pietro lifted the cover to his helmet and set down a cutting torch. "Ahh, James. What seems to be the problem?"

He was soft spoken with a deep voice like honey, Y/N could immediately tell he was the type that wouldn't hurt a fly.

"I need your help." James softly said. "Just for a few days, maybe a week."

"Well, I'm not sure-" Pietro paused to see the urgent glint in the Headmaster's eyes, it gave him time to think twice with a quiet sigh. "...Okay, what did you need?"

"Not me." James shook his head, he subtly gestured to Y/N with his hand. "Him. He'll be out there on his own, it's imperative that he be ready for anything."