Part 107

The quiet tick and tock of a wrist watch kept Y/N up when the sun had set. It wasn't a bothersome noise, it was the fact that it was a reminder.

He had waited for far too long, pondered a question and mulled over his words to his love seated beside him.

The imaginary words that fell from his lips were jumbled, as he couldn't piece together the right string to say.

Eventually, as he sat in the nigh pitch dark room, Glynda noticed his soft and almost inaudible breathing.

"What's wrong?" She asked in a whisper.

The surrounding foot traffic had died down immensely after this morning, further proving Y/N's neighbors had been discharged with a bill of good health.

He was all that remained in the massive tent, and was one of the few handfuls who had yet to fully recover.

The nurses and standby doctors were at its minimal, meaning much fewer ears to catch the incoming conversation.

After a long moment of his eyes remaining shut with no visible response, Y/N replied in an equal whisper.

"Do you remember Raven back in Beacon?"

The way he spoke, Glynda could hear the guilt in his voice, it plucked a few heartstrings when she sought his hand and didn't feel him squeeze back.

"I do." She replied with a nod, knowing he could see her in the dark while all she could see was a faint silhouette.

It was so long ago, back when they were young and blind to the future. A situation that was impossible and heartbreaking.

"Before I say anything else..." Y/N said, feeling his wounds throb with mild pain. "I thought I'd never see you again, because I was fully prepared to live my life while you lived yours... That was before I spoke to Iris."

She was silent, waiting for him to continue, so he did. "We might have another Raven situation on our hands."

Her stunned and quiet voice pierced the darkness. "What?"

"It's not Raven if that's what you're thinking, I mean a situation as a whole."

"We-" She paused with a scoff and shake of her head. "We were kids, you can't expect me to feel the same way."

"I didn't, but I know I feel the same."

She released a heavy sigh but kept that gentle hold on his calloused hand.

"I couldn't make that decision because I couldn't replace anyone, and now I'm pretty sure I can't do it now."

"So it's an ultimatum." She stated with a pinch of venom in her voice.

"No. I'm not choosing and I'm not leaving you, it's like I said, I still feel the same."

Was he dissatisfied? Was he craving more? Or perhaps she just wasn't enough? The answer to all those questions were no, it was also how he felt this very moment.

He wasn't looking for something new or wanting something she didn't, like a way to spice up the bedroom. His feelings were genuine, just as they were for her and Raven.

She took comfort in the promise he made, that he was never going to leave her ever again. No matter how much she could think otherwise, he had made a promise.

It also didn't help that he was married again, not that she was petty enough to be angry at him for it, it's the thought that she would've been at his side even then.

Tracing the scar on his palm with a delicate touch of her thumb, she asked with a clear cast of emotions.

"Who-? Who is it?"