Chapter 10: Beastly

Both of our eyes met in the slight darkness. It was still daytime, so we could see our way through Carmen's bedroom.

"Jasmine," she started, "are you playing some kind of prank on me?"

"No... I don't know what just happened"

I slowly arose, and left the room to examine the rest of the home. Carmen followed me throughout each of rooms that they had. There wasn't anything out of place as far as we could see.

"It must be a power shortage or something," I explained, "Where's the fuse box?"

"In the basement," she replied.

I grabbed a couple of items that might come in handy from her father's toolbox, and followed her to the basement.

We used the flashlights on our phones to illuminate the darkened storage area. At the bottom of the steps, I reached out for the fuse box and made sure that each part was affixed correctly.

When I could find nothing wrong with the wires I sighed in defeat.

"It doesn't seem like anything is wrong with the lights. We should probably call your parents and contact an electrician."

"Okay. Let's go upstairs. It's too cold and creepy down here."

I chuckled at her response as she turned towards the doorway. Looking up at the door, we stopped dead in our tracks.

A slimy, dark, demon-like creature awaited us at the top of the stairs. The thing noticed our presence a couple of moments later, quickly running out of our view.

We sprang to our feet as we bound up the wooden steps and out into the main hallway of the home.

There were slimy footprints on the wooden floor, but they were disappearing at a rapid pace.

The footprints led right up to Carmen's bedroom, and we opened her door to reveal that beast.

It made a grab for Maya's journal, unaware of what was soon to come.

I tackled the thing and struggled to get a grip on the book due to the black slime being produced by the creature. It was like a game of 'tug of war'.

In a matter of seconds, Carmen and I were in the lead, almost freeing the book from the thing. After one final tug, we had the book at last, but the monster had managed to escape with a few loose pages.

We stared in disbelief as the creature lifted the latch, and made his great escape out of the window.

Author's Note:

I am terribly sorry for the long wait on this update. I didn't know where the story was going anymore, and didn't think that anyone was reading it anyways. I am back on track now, and I'm going to update regularly. Thanks for all of the reads, and please vote and comment to let me know what you think about the story. Talk to you guys later!! :-)