Chapter 29: Behind Bars

For 3 hours I sat in the interrogation room, gazing at my distorted image on the bulletproof windows. I was considered a criminal... and without any solid evidence whatsoever.

I was thinking of all the ways I could get back at that girl, from small things like rigging her locker to pouring scalding water over her. My imagination ran wild. I played out each and every scenario very carefully in my mind, assuring that there were no flaws in my cover-up if it were to happen in real life.

Then, a new idea popped into my head; a very sinful thought indeed, but I quickly dismissed it before I could get too gruesome. This witch was causing my insanity, and I didn't want her and all of her supporters to have the satisfaction of seeing my name on newspaper headlines titled 'Jasmine: A Sweet Little Gem of a Deranged Killer'.

Finally, my captor (or shall I say round bellied penguin) brought in my parents for the beginning of my questionnaire.

"Wow. Look at who's late to the party," I muttered. "And the world's worst parent award goes to...Mr. and Mrs. Stone."

The fat cop hadn't even set foot in the room before saying, "Why did you threaten to kill that girl?"

I sighed. That was becoming a regular habit nowadays.

"I didn't."

"That's your only defense? I'm gonna need a little more than that," the rusty chair squealed under the weight of the man, as he proceeded to begin a set of notes. "Let's start with the conversation you and the victim shared prior to your incarceration."

"I'm technically not incarcerated, but that's beside the point. I declared my heartfelt apology, to which she choked me with a hug, quite literally actually. Her grip tightening with every word she spat in my ear, she promised to disembody my remains because she'd never accept my apology. The only thing I told her was that her situation would be handled with the authorities."

"Wow...very descriptive I see," pondered the cop, "So you mean to tell me that it was Nina who made the threat, not vice versa?"

I nodded. From the corner of my eye I could see my mother fidgeting. She had never been in such a horrible place in her lifetime, and I could recall her dislike towards jails for their lack of sanitation and negativity. It was germ city in here.

"If you consider all of the torture that you caused that girl, the balance would weigh towards you, Ms. Stone. Because of this, I must enforce the law, which states that you must do jail time."

I didn't have time to react because two guards ripped me out of my seat and walked me towards the main part of the jail. Inmates eyed me like vultures as I struggled to get out of their strong grasp. Their rooms reeked of must and other ungodly scents.

"Stop! There's no evidence that I did this! How can I go to jail for something so petty, that even if I did do it, you would be wasting a jail cell?!"

They acted as though I hadn't spoken, shoving me behind a set of rusty bars. I tried my best to slide my wrist through the cuffs, kick them, or give them a good blow to the face. Anything to prevent me from being imprisoned.

"Let her go. She has proof to plead her case," commanded a deep voice.

My head whipped around to see the one and only Kyle.

"The chief ordered her back to the interrogation room. Hey gem!" He spoke in a lighter tone.

I smirked before replying, "Thanks Bile!"

One of the guards sighed in defeat before turning back around. We reached the room wth no further conversation.

There was a new addition to the table; Kyle and the head Chief of the station. I rubbed my wrists after the fat cop from before finally removed the metal clamps on my hand. I realized that they were waiting on me to prove my case, so I stumbled towards the computer they had provided, and hooked my necklace up to it. Everyone nodded, impressed with my clever spying equipment.

Once the computer recognized it, I booted up the program that was attached to the necklace file. My necklace glowed red as it asked for the passcode.

"Showtime Synergy."

Then, all of the recording files popped up on the computer screen, to my delight. I selected the most recent recording of today, and it played through the speakers.

We could only pick out a few words like regret, apology, authorities, and get away. The rest was static. The audio recording concluded with a (female) robotic voice saying: Some of this recording may have been disrupted due to low memory.

My parents gave a look of a disapproval because they thought I was running game. The guards were about to send me away when I flashed a cassette tape in their faces.

"Do any of you happen to have any Walkman hook ups?" I blushed in embarrassment.

* * *

"Since when did you get here?" I asked Kyle as we walked down the steps of the government building.

"Since you were first admitted. I've been waiting in the lobby for hours, until they granted me permission to see you, hence the reason I found the guards putting you in a cell."

"That must suck, right?" I laughed.

He smiled back. "But your singing was on point, though."

I groaned as he laughed at me hiding behind my hands. When I was searching through the tape recorder for the correct file, I accidentally revealed a rather embarrassing clip of me singing What is Love by Haddaway.

"Oh shut up already!"

I waved him bye before I joined my parents who were waiting in the car. I slouched in my seat, prepared for the awkward drive home that was soon to come.

Hey! I can't wait for the rest of the story, can you? I've made a reference to a popular cartoon in this chapter. Try and see if you can guess it! :P