Chapter 3: Gone

"We couldn't really determine the exact cause of her condition, but our forensic team has many theories as to what might have happened," the nurse spoke, obviously stalling.

"Okay... So what is her current state?" I asked, slowly growing impatient.

"Well, your grandmother has unfortunately passed away."

I dropped the device on the ground.

What was happening? How could this even be possible. Am I dreaming or something?

My grandmother is gone.

I couldn't be weak. I had to be strong, not only for me, but for my family's sake. I always found a way to hide my true emotions in these type of situations, but this time, unfortunately, that wasn't the case. 

My mother comforted me while my dad tried to pry more information from the nurse on the telephone. David just sat there staring blankly at  the wall, in a trance.

How could this be?

...

I stared at her through the blue-tinted glass. Her body was limp and motionless. The skin on her face showed no signs of rapid aging, however, the paleness of her face indicated that she was lifeless.

My hand removed itself from the window, leaving a temporary handprint. All of the clues from her expressionless face showed that she wasn't in any distress before she faced her death. I had regrouped with the rest of my family when a new idea popped into my head. I didn't think that my grandmother's death was a mistake...