Chapter 9: Promises

I gently pulled the slip of paper from the window, and took a good look at it.

Looking for the culprit, I see. Go and seek help, if you dare. Don't say that I didn't warn you.

~Y.W.N.

Yet another note from Y.W.N. When will this person learn to stop with these stupid notes? A threat, really?

My grandmother probably wouldn't get anyone else involved into this mess, but I was going to need some help to stop this person from blackmailing me.

***

I knocked on the door twice and waited for it to open.

Carmen greeted me with a hug, and quickly ushered me into the house. She seemed very interested in the whole ordeal.

"So," she began once we were in her room, "the pages of your journal got ripped out, and you don't know who it is?"

I shook my head. "The only thing I know is that the culprit's initials are Y.W.N."

I showed her the two notes that I have received so far. She quickly read over them, and began to examine my grandmother's notebook carefully.

"Hmm...I don't think that someone would use their real initials on a piece of evidence. The letters could be a nickname, phrase, or even a distraction from what is important. This person could be using fake initials to mislead you," she finally replied.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I never thought about it that way," I spoke thoughtfully. "My main priority at the moment is to get all of the pages to the journal back before it's too late."

"What do you mean by 'before it's too late'?" Carmen questioned.

I contemplated whether or not I should tell her the truth. I knew that she would keep a secret...and if not, then I could always find a way to erase her memory of my small little secret.

"There's something that I've been meaning to tell you. It's about me."

"What about you?" She asked eagerly.

"I have a huge secret that not even my parents know about. I have special abilities that normal people are unable to attain...I have super powers," I finished, waiting for a reaction.

Carmen tilted her head sideways, and busted out laughing.

"So you're like a superhero or something?" she asked jokingly.

"No, I'm being really serious here. My magic is a very real thing. You have to promise me that you'll tell no one about this."

"Ok, ok, I promise," she said.

"And don't freak out when you see my powers," I added.

"Sure thing," she replied.

I'm sort of glad that she took things this way. She doesn't fully believe what I'm saying, so I don't have anything to worry about yet.

Just when I was about to tell her about the people on my suspect list, the lights flickered, and shut off completely.