Chapter 18: Gullible

Fast foreword a couple days, and you'll see me sitting on a dusty floor within a growing pile of junk. It was the weekend, Saturday to be exact, and here I was all alone while the rest of my friends were out having the time of their lives. I was completely abandoned whilst they carried out our weekly tradition. What great friends they were.

Why am I sitting here, in the dust when I could be doing something productive- something fun on my own, you may ask. It's not that easy being the laughing stock of the school, and becoming even more popular for all the wrong reasons.

My friends wouldn't be caught dead around me at this point and time (and I wouldn't have, either). Who would want to ruin their reputation for somebody who just made a complete fool out of themselves? I got what I deserved.

I don't know why, but I felt that I needed to do this... search through my grandma's old shed to find something. I don't know what that something is, but I hope that I find it soon because I'm running low on faith.

That Y.W.N. person hadn't ceased to sending me those riddling notes. The parts of the book I had left were out of order, and made no sense whatsoever. I was becoming quite annoyed, and all I wanted was to find a solution fast.

I continued digging through the pile for another 15 minutes before deciding to call it a day. Being too lazy to put everything back into its respective place, I just shoved majority of the stuff under a workbench/table. Hey, it didn't look that much different, and it's not like anyone was going to make a surprise visit anyways.

I walked in front of that metal contraption that was considered a time machine and stared at it deep in thought. Yes, I just said it was a time machine. I didn't mention it to Carmen, but this was the start of all Maya's great adventures. Now that I think about it, I'm glad that she doesn't know because she would've added that to the long list of gossip about me.

Come to think of it, Maya never showed me this before. She and grandpa would always be telling us to stay away from the shed because it was a dangerous place. She probably didn't think that I was responsible enough to handle the machine yet.

My thoughts were interrupted by a small knock on the door that was barely audible.

I opened it to see the one and only Nina. This girl just couldn't get enough of me, could she?

"May I come in?" asked the girl as she slid past me into the shed. She hadn't even bothered to wait for a reply.

"What do you want?" I said managing to keep my tone even.

"I wanted to apologize, not just for what I said to you, but for everything that I've ever done to you. Sorry."

"Sorry. That's all you wanted to say? Sorry? Ha! There's only so much a word can do," I replied chuckling darkly.

"Sorry doesn't fix my reputation, or all of the mockery that will remain on the Internet FOREVER!" I yelled the last word, which caused her to cower back to the metal box.

"You still never told me what that thing was," Nina says in attempt to change the subject. I decided to play along.

"No. Well go on, open it. Since you are so curious, why don't you take a peek?"

She tried to twist the rusty knob on the machine, but it was shut tight. When she tried a second time, with much more force, the door swung open throwing her back like a rag doll.

I failed to suppress my laughter at her fail. She ignored me and looked inside.

"Uh, Jasmine, you might wanna come see this," Nina spoke in a very shaky voice.

"What, the dead corpse of a vampire?" I laughed.

"No... something far worse."

I put my silliness aside, and went over there beside her to investigate the area. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, and turned back to her with a smirk.

"See. There's nothing to be afraid of small child. All I see is two harnesses and a billion-"

I never got the chance to finish my sentence because she shoved me into the machine and locked the door.

"HEY!" I yelled, "This isn't funny. Unlock the door this instant!"

The girl chucked darkly, imitating my actions from before in a weak attempt to make me beg.

"I don't see that happening."

I began to beat on the door and scream for help until I realized an important fact. I face palmed. There was an enormous array of buttons on the control panel beside me, so I could press the 'open' button.

I didn't hesitate to push the correct button in the machine. Much to my luck, the door wouldn't respond.

I jabbed at the button a countless number of times, but that heavy metal door wouldn't budge. This machine was probably so old that it needed maintenance.

I was just about to try and pry the door open with my bare hands, but I was too late. With a flick of her hand, Nina had the machine twirling. The last thing that I saw out of the small, round window, was her fingers waving me by before I was launched foreword into the air.